• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

New Manual Mill

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

wheeler34man

Iron
Registered Member
Well I'm trying to be patient but it's difficult but hopefully within the next week I should get my new manual mill from Charter Oak Automation. In the mean time I've been building it's stand.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
How long has it been? And what appears to be the holdup? Do they not keep these in stock?

I have no fab capabilities, but they did offer to build their stand 4" higher.

I'll be interested in pics when you finally get it. :)

Bill

wheeler34man

Iron
Registered Member
I don't know what the issue or holdup is. I suspect they dont really keep them in stock per say. They probably buy say 10 and maybe keep 1 or 2 in stock and the other 8 were paid in full before they ordered them from China. It's been nearly 8 weeks and once it ships its got to make it from East Coast to West Coast and I'm sure that's another week.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Seems like the good stuff is all 'sit around and wait'. Did you have to pay up front, or just put a deposit?

Hopefully it will be in soon.

Bill

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
:ups:

Bill
P.S. We of course require pics. It would be nice to see what this thing looks like, as the few pics on their site don't show much.

wheeler34man

Iron
Registered Member
Sure I'll post some pics...so kind of a dumb question here. I built a stand already with what I knew or learned at the time I bought it. So do I need to bolt my mill to my stand or is/are rubber isolated feet maybe better and let it just rest on my stand?

wheeler34man

Iron
Registered Member
This is my 13" tall stand and a crane I built to lift the vice, rotary table and any future heavy parts up onto the mill table. I'm using a 3500# ATV winch on the crane which isn't shown. I'll post more once I get it set up. That's all I have for now. It will all makes sense soon.

IMAG1492.jpg

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
This is just my opinion, but I would bolt the machine to the stand (I hope it has a wider/deeper footprint than the mill), and then put machine mounts on the stand's legs if you're not going to bolt it to the floor. From what I've read, that's a pretty heavy mill, and I wouldn't want it moving around on it's stand. It could tip/fall over if it moves around too much on it's stand.

Just my $0.02,
Bill

Sure I'll post some pics...so kind of a dumb question here. I built a stand already with what I knew or learned at the time I bought it. So do I need to bolt my mill to my stand or is/are rubber isolated feet maybe better and let it just rest on my stand?

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Pretty cool stand with the crane feature. Wow, you must be really tall! Please post pics of it when you have it mounted!I

I agree, I'd definitely bolt it up to the stand & just use your Footmasters as the feet for the whole assy.

wheeler34man

Iron
Registered Member
Yup I got holes drilled last night to mount the mill. The mill is about 750# according to the dope sheet. The stand has 8 leveling pads/on it too so it shouldnt go anywhere. I built the crane high which by rights should only be a few inches higher than the machine. I kind of built the crane to be able to lift the machine on/off the stand should I need to at some point with out-riggers to stabilize things . I'm actually in a wheelchair and thats the reason the stand is so low. That way the table and quill will be usable for me without having to stand up on my one leg which gets tiresome. And the crane will help the wife actually by her not having to help me move vices and rotary tables and heavy parts. At least thats how I pitched it to her! HA!

wheeler34man

Iron
Registered Member
Well? Did ya get your mill? :)

Bill
No. I sure didn't. Just my luck they can't or couldn't find the truck as of Friday afternoon. He was supposed to check in. I'm bummed. But I'm hoping Monday morning bright and early they'll call and tell me it's in. Just my luck. Ah well. Stayed tuned.

wheeler34man

Iron
Registered Member
No. I sure didn't. Just my luck they can't or couldn't find the truck as of Friday afternoon. He was supposed to check in. I'm bummed. But I'm hoping Monday morning bright and early they'll call and tell me it's in. Just my luck. Ah well. Stayed tuned.
WEll I got it! Here are a couple pics just as finished up last evening. I'll post more later.

IMAG1536.jpg unnamed.jpg

IMAG1536.jpg unnamed.jpg

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Wow. Very impressive. Looks like you got the 3 hp upgrade, the quick change, and the DRO. Looks real good so far. :)

What I really like about this thing is it's the first mill of that size (9" deep table) that you can actually reach to the front and back edges of and beyond. I think I saw a pic somewhere showing a guy decking a small block V8 on one of those. Again, wow.

Bill

Rbeckett

Platinum
Rest In Peace
Lookin good the vern!!!!! I like the low stand and crane idea. I too am confined to a wheelchair and that is a great solution for both you and the wife too!!!!

Bob

[6]
[5] [7]