New Member From Langley Bc Ready To Start Lathe & Mill Shopping

I am almost finished with the DRO install, man that cross slide install took way too long.

It's actually good to take on something like this as it sure improves my skills on my machines.

The little mounting bracket that holds the read head was a really challenging part to get right, the first one didn't work out, so I thought about the mounting process a little more and came up with a way to get it installed with a bit of adjustment built-in.

Also needed to make a long drill bit to reach these holes.

IMG_2108.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

I then made Rev.2 and got a little aggressive with the face mill and made it too thin, so I needed to trim the spacer bracket to match, it was a little bit of 2 steps forward 1 back, it looks pretty good but then it's going to covered up with a cover, so much for my nice workmanship, it won't even be seen.
I installed a jack screw at the top center to adjust the plate as it had a slight tilt inwards at the top, probably would have been OK but might as well get it straight.
IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

Testing the position of the cover, not sure if I'll use this one or make a custom made one.

IMG_2115.JPG

I still need to add a hex bolt and make a cut away in the spacer to be able to lock the cross slide as others have done.

IMG_2116.JPG

OK that's about all for now, I've still got a bit of work left on cable management and still need to cleanup my shop as it's a mess after all the milling and drilling today.

David.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I have King Industrial 12x36 lathe and 9x42 turret mill with a Fagor 2 axis DRO. I've had both for 4 years. Never had any problems with either. I paid 3500 for the lathe and that was a pretty good price at the time. So 3700 today I think is reasonable. I only had to call the Montreal service dept. once, and they were very helpful, solved my issue immediately.

I just finished mounting the M-DRO mag scales on my 1340GT cross slide. I made the scale/bracket 9" long and the chip shield 10". I used 3M 9495MP tape to mount the scale to the cross slide and some other 3M foam adhesive to hold my bracket to the cross slide casting. I'd made slots in the bracket in case the tape fails at some point and I need to bolt it to the casting.

I'm seriously impressed with that tape. I heated it to about 115 with a heat gun before application. Once it was on it's freakin' tight and only gets stronger over time. The tape uses 3M's 200MP acrylic adhesive which they say is good from -40 - 400 F and is best for metal. It's also got some chemical and solvent resistance.

I finished the Y axis (or is it Z0?) yesterday and got the Easson display connected to the VFD box so it will come on with the machine. The way I mounted the reader I can't use the chip shield. I'll have to make a longer one if chips become an issue.

I used a board to mount the DRO. That was the simplest quickest way to use it. I'll worry about mounting it to the machine if/when I move.

The X is held on with the 200MP tape and it's only gotten more adhered since Saturday. The real test was hitting it with the tailstock and it didn't budge.

Next up is figuring out how best to mount the 3rd axis to the tailstock.

drodisplay.jpgxdro.jpgzdro.jpg

Ha ha the mounting of the display looks a bit like my first try.

Looks like that 3M tape worked out well to mount the read head.

What Brand of scales are those?

Looks like you have an Aloris QCTP as well, I love the action on my one.

David.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I have King Industrial 12x36 lathe and 9x42 turret mill with a Fagor 2 axis DRO. I've had both for 4 years. Never had any problems with either. I paid 3500 for the lathe and that was a pretty good price at the time. So 3700 today I think is reasonable. I only had to call the Montreal service dept. once, and they were very helpful, solved my issue immediately.
Hey that's great that you have been happy with the King 12 X 36 lathe, I know another 3 people with King Industrial lathes and they report good things about them, only one had a minor issue with the tail stock moving while machining, not sure how he got that resolved.
I just couldn't pull the trigger at the time and I'm glad I held out and bought Taiwanese made machines as they are very nicely made but I did pay more than double so is that.

David.

They are magnetic scales made by M-DRO. I bought the 3-axis kit from the UK. You can buy them from SRA in Texas but they were more expensive.

I bought the Aloris from PM when I got the machine. It is pretty nice.

Take a look at sharp industries I have a 13-40 made in Taiwan had for about 15 years no problems good all round machine
Don't forget to also look at used I also restored a h10 southbend and a Rockwell mill and modified to a turret mill
We are neighbors I'm in Mission

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Hi Bobl,
I recently acquired a 1340cu sharp lathe. I was wandering to you know how a guy can get a manual or even a picture of the thread settings. The motor is 1980 so pretty old machine. I’m excited to getting to use it. I’m in Alberta.
Thanks

Back