New Member From Langley Bc Ready To Start Lathe & Mill Shopping

Quick update, I have not completed my order yet, Matt is still confirming costs to ship to Vancouver BC versus Lynden WA. Hope to get that info by Monday.

I have also been flip flopping back and forward on the machines.

I've spent the last week reading and researching both the Taiwan and Chinese Machines, taking my time to re-read everything now that I am able to absorb the info better.

Just to complete one thing on my to-do list before the end of the month, I did go out and buy a welder, I got a Miller 215 Multimatic Mig/Tig & Stick machine, runs on 110 or 220.

Got it up and running yesterday and ran a few beads just to make sure it worked, which it did. I've not welded in 25 years or so, but I did OK for my first time on a Mig machine.

I didn't buy the optional TIG torch setup but will probably get it tomorrow as Miller have a rebate program that I can take advantage of and get a few $$ off.

Hope to have something to report back shortly on my order with PM.

David

PS Tmarks, thanks for the response, I know about those trailers as many in the Security Safe business use them, not sure if Sunbelt rent them here in Canada but will check if I need one. (we usually just get Boom & Scissor lifts from them)

Have you Tig welded before ? If not, i'd hold off on the torch option , use the mig while you learn your mill and lathe . There is quite a learning curve with Tig . Would be like buying a guitar and expecting to know how to play it ...no, you've got to put seat time in .
Same with TIG . Give some serious thought to that PM935 if you can swing it . And two guys can lift and set any of those mills with an inexpensive 2 Ton engine crane and some GOOD straps. Plan a whole day to break down the pallet, clean the machine, etc . Good luck with your mill and Lathes !

Have you Tig welded before ? If not, i'd hold off on the torch option , use the mig while you learn your mill and lathe . There is quite a learning curve with Tig . Would be like buying a guitar and expecting to know how to play it ...no, you've got to put seat time in .
Same with TIG . Give some serious thought to that PM935 if you can swing it . And two guys can lift and set any of those mills with an inexpensive 2 Ton engine crane and some GOOD straps. Plan a whole day to break down the pallet, clean the machine, etc . Good luck with your mill and Lathes !

Subway, no I haven't TIG welded before but one of my employees is an ex welder and will help me get setup once I'm ready.

I will have quite a bit too learn over the next few months just getting up to speed with the new equipment, fortunate to have some friends who are capable and can assist with the basics as I get setup.

I have been able to pick up most trade related skills reasonably quickly over the years and feel confident with welding, but understand TIG welding requires a lot more skill than MIG does.

Thanks for the vote for the PM935 as well.

Cheers,

David

Last edited:
I placed my order with QMT today for the PM935TS and PM1340GT, both Single Phase machines.

They will be delivered to Vancouver BC directly from Taiwan.

So I'm now done with the research part unless I change my mind and upgrade to 3 phase or variable speed on either of the machines.

Estimated delivery is a 2-3 months, but based on previous postings it could be more, I'm OK with that but hope to have them by mid March 2017.

David

Congratulations David, those look like great choices.

I don't know that I could stand the wait!

-brino

I placed my order with QMT today for the PM935TS and PM1340GT... They will be delivered to Vancouver BC directly from Taiwan.

awesome choices.

What kind of an advantage does that give you for import duties? It is great that Matt is able to arrange that.

awesome choices.

What kind of an advantage does that give you for import duties? It is great that Matt is able to arrange that.

As far as I can tell duty into USA is about 5% and Canada has Zero duty for these machines from Asia. (Matt does not get the duty back when he re-exports them)

There are other costs involved to have machines imported directly into Canada (CSA Labeling) but still a little less overall.

David.

I guess I ordered mine at a good time ... I placed the order thursday and requested it be delivered on Tues , my day off . Tuesday afternoon she was here . I'm only about 6 hrs from Matt ...I feel for ya, having to wait til MARCH !
Here is a link to a guy i bought lube from . He will make any combination of sizes/bottles you want...but your local buds might have a place for you to get it too .

These are the lubes for that mill , can use these or other brands equivalents
http://r.ebay.com/wmFduq

Good luck with it and welcome to the forum !

Subwayrocket, thanks for the link on the lubricants and yes March is a ways off but I've got my hands full with plenty to do and learn before the machines show up.

Congratulations on getting your new machine, that is a quick delivery time.

David.

I've been busy since I ordered my machines, reading and re-reading all the posts on VFD's and the advantages of going that route.
So I emailed Matt and asked if it was too late to make a change to 3 phase and he said not too late, but you only get one change, no going back once the change is made.

I gave it some thought for a few days and have changed my order to 3 phase for both machines.

I ordered the Hitachi VFD's from QMT along with a few extras including tooling and an Aloris QCTP and a few Aloris holders.

I'm comfortable with the actual re-wiring of the machines as I'm familiar with building controller cabinets and Guard Control Stations for Security Booths which involve complex custom designs for Access Control, Barrier Gates/Arms, Intercom and CCTV Systems, well I did when I was on the tools, now I just assist with the concepts but still comfortable on the tools when required/needed.

I will need plenty of help with the programming of the VFD's I suspect and which switches/diodes and resistors to use.
We normally use Allen Bradley or Telemecanique switches and relays so I'll need to get the part numbers and see if I can buy locally through my distributors here.

Also placed an order for an Easson ES-8A 3 axis DRO from Ali Express/ Shenzhen Siton with GS10 Glass scales. It was $435.00 US with free shipping which seems like a pretty good price.

I was tempted by the ES-12 with digital colour display which was $595 but I needed to keep the budget in check.
I'll order the 2 axis one for the lathe once I get the 3 axis one here and I can verify it's the real thing, it should be here a week or so.

David

Back