New Member From Langley Bc Ready To Start Lathe & Mill Shopping

John, you certainly have patience to work through the issues with your lathe, and that must be frustrating to have the TS moving after locking it down.

Good to hear your wife is committed to the work ahead of her, as I've known of a few people that just give up as they are working hard but not getting the progress they think they should.

BTW I did get some photos of the 14 X 40 Taiwan lathe, labelled as 'Advance' it was sold by Thomas Skinner & Son (still in business locally) and manufactured by Chiu Ting Machinery Company, (thought it was "Sum Ting Wong" but they're a different outfit) I googled Chiu Ting and looks like they only make wood working equipment now.

I'm going to recommend that he try selling it on CL locally unless you want to take a look at it, let me know if you want to pursue it, probably $3,500 would buy it. (i think it should list on CL for $4,200)

Comes with a 6" 3 jaw, a 6 or 8" 4 jaw, still in cardboard box, (so I didn't open it), steady rest, has a Norton Style Gear Box, QCTP and a small amount of tooling, including a live center, very lightly used mostly cutting Aluminum in hobby shop. (also has a threading dial which I found in a drawer after taking the pictures)

Just wonder about parts if ever needed, not sure what it other machine parts would fit.

Let me know if you're interested, they are not in a hurry to sell but would like to know either way in a week or so.

David, that lathe looks exactly like mine that is branded CanTek. Parts are still available through Arkhurst Machinery.

http://www.akhurst.com/

They have branch offices in Edmonton and Vancouver, my machine was purchased new from their Edmonton branch. Thomas Skinner has offices in Edmonton and Vancouver also and I would think you still get parts from them also. I have a PDF copy of the manual, if you need one I can email it to you.

My condolences regarding your friends passing, tough times indeed

Last edited:
David, that lathe looks exactly like mine that is branded CanTek. Parts are still available through Arkhurst Machinery.

They have branch offices in Edmonton and Vancouver, my machine was purchased new from their Edmonton branch. Thomas Skinner has offices in Edmonton and Vancouver also and I would think you still get parts from them also. I have a PDF copy of the manual, if you need one I can email it to you.

My condolences regarding your friends passing, tough times indeed.

John, thanks for the message.

That is excellent news on the manual, please forward it to davidb at citiloc dot com.

How is this lathe in your opinion? Any info to assist me in selling it would be appreciated.

HBilly1022 (also John) asked about metric threading on this lathe, does it require an extra set of gears or are they already installed?
I haven't looked in the pedestal cabinet very thoroughly yet, as they maybe in there.

Regards,

David

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

20151029_063948_zps0czxvx21.jpg

P5050036_zps8b8b2298.jpg

Metric threading requires changing a gear.

It's a pretty decent lathe, very similar in fact to the GT1340 you ordered.

I sent you the manual and the treading charts are in it.

Cheers, John

Thanks John, got the email, yes I agree it's probably very similar to the lathe I ordered.

I'll need to get back over there and see if the extra gears for metric threading are stashed somewhere.

I was torn between buying Clint's machines and ordering from PM and decided it was better to just buy my own new machines from QMT.

Cheers,

David

My condolences regarding your friends passing, tough times indeed.

View attachment 224410 /QUOTE]

John, thanks to you I was able to order new half nuts for the CT1440 machine, as one of the casting was broken on the lower piece and Akhurst Machinery had them in stock in Edmonton, they overnighted them to Vancouver and offered to deliver no charge to my shop. I was near the Delta branch on other business so I dropped in and picked them up.

Unbelievable service and all for a $38.00 part.

So thank you for the referral and nice for it to work out so well.

Regards,

David

Quick update, I got the new half nut holders from Akhurst machinery as one was broken on the CT1440 and the next day sold the lathe for Clint's family, listed on CL sold same day full asking price.

Also got an email from QMT, yesterday, my machines ship from Taiwan Feb 20th, I think it's 3 weeks delivery from then.

Better get busy and get all my parts for the VFD install ready.

David.

Just got a call from the broker to let me know the ship arrives this weekend, and the machines will be available sometime next week at the warehouse.
They will clear the shipment and arrange delivery all for about $95.00 which is reasonable.
There will be a few other charges related to the port fees and port to warehouse transport so I'll post those details after I get the info.
I am still waiting on the VFD's from QMT so will not be ready to make chips for a while, even though it took more than 3 months since I ordered the machines the time has gone quickly, and I'll need to hustle to get everything ready for delivery next week.

My work has been very busy and I'm in the middle of a motorcycle rebuild so plenty to keep me occupied lately.
David

The last few days have been almost completely consumed with getting my machines through customs and having them delivered.

Certainly not all my time but certainly all my energy and focus has been on making this as smooth as possible.

The part I was most concerned about turned out to be the least stressful.

It really started last week, maybe Friday when I was told the shipment should be cleared and ready for delivery but it was not until late last night that the shipment was cleared by customs, due to the broker not having done this type of equipment before.

The invoice has the machine broken down into all the separate parts and options so they needed to find all the import codes for each piece, should have taken 2 hours but ended up taking days for some unknown reason.

He was the guy responsible for the container that my shipment arrived in, so I thought I'll use him rather than our usual broker, it was a struggle hearing every day that it will clear tomorrow.

I'm sure if he needed to clear another shipment like this one he would be awesome now that he's learned the way on this shipment.

I had a few trucking firms looking at helping with the delivery from the warehouse but each time I gave the weights & sizes they all said I'll need a crane truck, they will not fit on a tailgate, it's too unsafe to try.
Quotes for a crane truck was coming in at $600 plus and I was really resistant to pay that much until the broker found a guy who would do it for $120 delivered with a 5 ton truck with a tail gate.

I was set but just before all this went down the broker informs me I'll need to wire the funds to his bank in Toronto before they will release the shipment, I was about to loose a wheel when he told me that.
I would need to drive to the city and back just to pay the bill, as they will not take CC or cheques and I didn't want to try from a branch that doesn't know me and my account manager was out of town.

He finally emailed me and suggested I could take cash to any HSBC bank branch and direct deposit into their account, which I did right away.

So the truck is on the way and the dispatcher calls me to tell me they are coming in 1 hour, then 15 mins later he calls back, no go, too unsafe, driver has refused to deliver, far canal, can it get any more frustrating.
I was about to loose it again as I had arranged a crane truck on standby but cancelled when they found this new guy to take care of it.

As I'm in the Lock business and we need to move safe's occasionally so I called on a friend who moves a lot of safes and he recommended someone with a Flatbed fitted with a HIAB crane, he was able to do the pickup within an hour but had no pallet jack on board.

Best part was he was half the price of the previous quotes as well.

They showed up right when they said they would and did an awesome job getting them into the shop safely.

When I get Photobucket working I'll post some pictures.

IMG_3801_zpsa3vw05wc.jpg

Back