New Member from UK

JerryNotts

Registered
Registered
I thought it was about time I introduced myself. I tried to write asn introductory post yesterday but was unable to submit as I had inadverently included something which the system desided was spam!!! Peerhaps the inclusion of machine manucafturer's names was the cause. So here we go again.
I'm a newly retired chemist with some home workshop experience living in the English Midlands.
My workshop (converted garage) contains a 13x40 geared lathe, a VMC, a small 90 scale lathe and a 6x4 bandsaw, as well as various other bits and pieces. My tooling collection owes a lot to an interest in 4x4 vehicles.
My interest is in live steam horizontal mill engines. I am currently working on the design of suitable valve gear for small engines. (rotary rather than slide valves.
I joined because I have admired the wide range of topics covered here.
Jerry

Hi Jerry, welcome aboard.........
I'm not in ur parts of the world anymore.........needed the sun......... quite a lot going on here, suits all tastes........mine's old cars and M/cycles.......
good luck and loads a fun........Clogs

Welcome Jerry, you picked the right forum. Enjoy!

Hey, when you say chemist do you mean what we call a pharmacist or do you mean chemist in the same sense that we in the USA use?

Anyway, welcome!

Welcome Jerry. There are a couple of sub forums here devoted to live steam. Look forward to seeing your projects and sharing ideas.

David

Thanks for the welcome. I'm spending some time looking around the forum and have not yet come across the live steam posts.

Anybody who comes from a pharma background always calls me a bucket chemist. But I usually reply that I have worked with processes where a thousand tons a day was the norm, not penny packets! Silence then ensues, or perhaps some comment about profit.

I have just realised that the red band tells me where I made a mistake in my aborted first attempt to post, with a link.

The valve mechanism I am working on at the moment is for a Corliss Reynolds Latch system. I am trying to make the design in Autodesk Inventor and to use the parametric features for the first time. Obviously I'm not a draughtsman and there are some challenges. Once I get something that appears to work I'll post here.

Jerry

Welcome Jerry. I look forward to seeing some of your projects.

Roy

I vaguely remember Inventor...taught myself to use it in college. Later, I discovered that Pro-E and then Solidworks is much easier for me. Inventor was 15 years ago, though...might be better by now! Looking forward to seeing your projects.

Hi Jerry, and a belated welcome.

I'm going to be honest with you. We don't have as much live steam as I'd like. I would love to rectify that. There is a site called Model Engine Maker that some of our members frequent that focuses on steam.

Hi Nels,

I know MEM very well, it was there that I first saw a reference to The Hobby Machinist. I am enjoying looking around this site, lots of interesting topics.

Thanks to asll for the welcome.

Jerry

Back