New Member Gets 5 Machines

Cal, Thanks the stamping is inspected by HGB Lot No ee6904 I am trying to attach a picture.
That's an old one. With that serial number, the machine probably had a Sundstrand hydraulic drive. Is there round hole in the big cover on the left end, the one that covers the spindle motor?

Cal

I think you are probable right. The cover has been replaced by a shop made cover. Do you have any pictures of the old 10ee with hydro drive? Did you look at the picture on pm? My lathe bottom does not extend to the end of the bed. I think I got it to load on here. As you can see it looks different from the other 10ee I have seen. Please let me know what my options are to restoring it. Is the old hydraulic drives available?

20151108_090625.jpg

Last edited:
Cal, I spoke with Monarch today and they said the machine was produced Nov 30 1939. It was a hydraulic drive and to his knowledge there is nobody working with those old drives. He said Monarch would not rebuild that lathe as it is to hard to acquire parts. He thought I might consider replacing the 3 hp with a 7.5 hp vfd. He said they do a nice job. What say you?
Ted

I guess the size of the VFD would depend on the size of the motor. If the motor is 7.5 HP and you have 3 phase power in your shop then a 7.5 HP VFD would be fine. If you have only single phase power then I would go with at least a 10 HP VFD. If your motor is 3 HP, then the VFD that you have will work fine.

Ted,

Here's a couple of photos of Sundstrand drive machines:

The big handwheel to the left of the quick-change gearbox controlled the hydraulic drive unit. These were the first generation of the 10EE, the last of them were built at the end of 1940. There are a few still in operation.

Run it for a while with the existing drive before you worry about replacing it. A 7.5HP VFD is probably your best bet for a replacement, assuming that you have the space. AFIK, 7.5HP is sufficient for normal use.

Cal

I spoke with Tim at Monarch about operating the series 50 on a vfd. He said to use a rotary phase converter It is a 10 hp dc drive motor. The vfd might play help with the rectifier. I have a 7.5 Rotary phase converted. I also have a 5 hp 3 phase motor. I was going to connect it up and start the 5 hp motor then turn on the lathe. Anyone try this before. I know this equipment runs on smoke because when you let the smoke out they don't run anymore.
Ted

Does the lathe have the original MG setup or has it been repowered? If original, then the RPC should work, but it's a bit light, should be at least 10HP. If the lathe has been repowered, and driven by a 3 phase motor then the VFD should work. Not really sure what you have there.

If you can get some pictures it would be helpful.

This 10EE never had a MG. It is the earlier version with the Sundstrand hydraulic drive, which apparently has been removed. Unfortunately, without the back gear unit that came with the DC drives (be they MG or tube), the machine won't have nearly as much torque at low RPMs when running from an AC motor and VFD.

I don't know very much about the series 50 drives, but it having a DC spindle motor doesn't sound right. If it's the typical 3-phase AC motor, a RPC would be a better choice for a motor that big. A VFD that can run a 10HP machine would be very expensive. Can you post photos of the data plate on the series 50's motor and the control box?

Cal

i can not post pictures on this sight. The 50 series has a dc motor. The motor has covers where the brushes are. The I'll let you know how the rotor phase run test works.

Back