New member looking for a couple items for my RF-31

I just ordered the following:

2 5/8x6 bolts (heads are 15/16")
2 1/2x6 bolts (heads are 3/4")

We'll see if that works....

Could you put a washer or cone type washer ,,wheel lug washer,,. It would help keep center and tighten better.

Could you put a washer or cone type washer ,,wheel lug washer,,. It would help keep center and tighten better.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Here's a picture of the casting side of the hex bolt. As you can see these are replacement 5/8" US-made bolts and they spin in the head casting. I have some new ones on order from bolt depot and just waiting for them to arrive.

Photo Oct 25, 8 35 59 PM.jpg

Ace Hardware, Home Depot and Lowes have a huge array of drawers with special hardware, bolts, nuts, washers, up to Grade 8, or the Metric 10.9.

Ace Hardware, Home Depot and Lowes have a huge array of drawers with special hardware, bolts, nuts, washers, up to Grade 8, or the Metric 10.9.

I tried Lowes and Home Depot and they only carry 5/8" and 3/4" bolt with the same sized heads. Those two stored were my first options...

You have a mill. Make a hex spacer that goes under/around the bolt head that just fits the space on the mill head. It might be easier than chasing down a wrong headed bolt. You probably want a bolt that just fits the hole through the machine.

Ok I now understand the problem . Is the other side flat ? If so what you need is the nut to be in the hole with the hex. And the bolt head to the flat. If it's spinning in the hole try a double tooth washer under the nut it will help stop the spinning . If it don't work you'll need to either shim the flats or find oversize nuts or make them. But I do know the nut goes in the hole not the bolt.

Ok I now understand the problem . Is the other side flat ? If so what you need is the nut to be in the hole with the hex. And the bolt head to the flat. If it's spinning in the hole try a double tooth washer under the nut it will help stop the spinning . If it don't work you'll need to either shim the flats or find oversize nuts or make them. But I do know the nut goes in the hole not the bolt.

I forgot that sometimes the bolt head and nut are different wrench sizes. Not usually though with the decent quality stuff I get from a decent bolt distributor. That does however make make the self machined solution easier if a shelf solution does not present itself. Machine a nut to fit the socket in the machine head.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Here's a picture of the casting side of the hex bolt. As you can see these are replacement 5/8" US-made bolts and they spin in the head casting. I have some new ones on order from bolt depot and just waiting for them to arrive.

View attachment 245303
Had the same problem with my King PDM30. I measured the difference between the replacement bolt head size and the pocket in the casting, divided it by two and got some sheet material a little less than that thickness. Out of that material I made some washers to fit the bolts with ears that folded back against all 6 flats making the bolt head the correct size to fit the casting pocket. They do not let the bolt turn , tightening or loosening. I used grade 8 bolts. The originals were grade 5 at the most.

Canuck75

Last edited:
Found a picture of the washers I mentioned to effectively increase the size of the bolt head. It might help if you haven't solved the problem as yet.

Cheers

Shop 304.jpg

Back