New Member with countershaft and chuck qestions...

indiana5881

Registered
Registered
Hi all!

Just picked up a very lightly used Logan 9B-28-41 as my first home metal lathe! runs great and after cleaning 40+ years of oil saturated dust off, it looks almost new. So now for the questions!

first off. When I bough this machine it was mounted on a 36inch deep bench to accommodate the belt length to the counter shaft. I don't have the luxury of burning that much room in my shop so i have a 24inch deep bench for the lathe. SO is there any reason that the motor/counter-shaft can not be mounted closer to the headstock? I already have a link belt. I cant think of any reasons as long as they do not interfere with each other.

Second. I only got a 6 jaw chuck with this lathe and would like to pick up a 4 jaw independent chuck. any low price recommendations? Enco has a 6"chuck that is under $100 right now. probably not the highest quality but most of my budget went into getting the machine. any input on this would be great.

Thank you

Adam

First welcome to the forum Adam:)) You can mod the back drive to any belt length you need just so you still keep the same speed ratios OR go to a variable speed motor setup and do away with a lot of the pulley monkey motion on the back.
Is that a scrolling 6 jaw & if it is in decent condition I sure would not get rid of it IMHO:nono:
3 jaw chicom are fairly common and low priced, Discount Machine, Tools for cheap, Enco, the old fleabay 800watt seller has opened up shop under the name of Amtools with his own website http://amtools.com/
There is a lot to be said for converting to vari speed controller with reverse.:))

I plan on holding on to my 6 jaw for a long time! its a 6.25" Buck with two sets of jaws, pretty sure one set has never been used. paid 500 for the whole setup and found it really hard to not pay the asking price with that chuck on the lathe plus other tooling. Just need a 4jaw independent now.

Variable speed would be awesome! maybe next year.

For a couple hundred bucks you could go the cheap route with a treadmill motor and a DC controller off of Fleabay. :thinking:
Just my 2 cents worth.
I have motor controllers and tread mill motors just encase I have a need of a mod on some oddball Chicom equipment.
Watch the local Craigslist, there are quite frequently free tread mills with all you to set it up for the trouble of going to pick it up :))
But I be a cheapscate:whistle:

Mr. bvd1940 speaks the truth. However please don't go the DC route. If you use the lathe much at all you will run into issues and this in turn will ruin your enjoyment of your new lathe. Then by going DC then hopeing to go VFD it makes it a never ending project and sorry to look at everytime you go to the shop. I am a firm believer in do it once-do it right. Like a foreman I worked for once, always had time to fix something six times but never time to do it right. Those TECO brand VFD's seem to be very affordable. I am only atracted to them at this time because of price. After I install and use one I will have a more definate opinion. Welcome to the site and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
TECO is branded by Westinghouse and that says something. After all who won the fight with Thomas Edison to go AC instead of DC. None other than ol George Westinghouse. He ought to know!
:holdphone:​

Back