New Micrometer Stand

Nogoingback

Registered
Registered
After checking out the prices of real micrometer stands, I decided there had to be an alternative. A Panavise, picked up at a used tool store
cheaply and screwed to a hefty lump of aluminum for stability is perfect. It rotates, and adjusts through 90 degrees of tilt and has plastic covered jaws
that won't mar the finish on the micrometer.

IMG_1122.jpeg

Huh....I needed a mic vise the other day and I have a similar vise........I should have thought of this. Thanks!

In my 55 plus years of machinist ism, I have never needed one, always thought that fingers worked pretty well.

I picked up a German mic holder for a couple of dollars and sold it for some good money on ebay and use a pan a vice and am very happy with it. The extra funds I have used for more needed machinist tooling

In my 55 plus years of machinist ism, I have never needed one, always thought that fingers worked pretty well.

I guess I'm in the same camp. Then again all my micrometers are the older mechanical style. The newer electronic models seem to have a bit of a different profile. Maybe they're harder to hold in the traditional manner.

The majority of my measuring is done with the parts still in the machine which wouldn't lend itself to using a micrometer holder. If I was doing QC and had a stack of small parts to measure it would be handy.

Same brand vise, except yours is younger than mine. Same trick! Been doing that since sometime in a previous millennium.

One-handed measurements with it hooked onto the pinky can't really be done as well with newer electronic micrometers.
The "squared off" clearance, and the reach to the ratchet spindle being sometimes too far is limiting.

Measuring on work in the chuck always has been a two-handed affair. Dropping the micrometer, especially the electronic ones, into a yuk murk of chips and draining coolant, is what I fear.

yep, that's what I do too. I find having the mic held in a panavise makes it easier to get repeatable readings from bore gages, as you're not juggling mic, gage and thimble. Probably not a big deal for the work we do, but using a vise also prevents the warmth from your hand holding the mic from changing the reading a bit.

On bigger micrometers, I have had the problem with warming from the hand when measuring multiple parts.

Back