New mill Drawbar query

sycle1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a new mill drill and it has an imperial 1/2 inch 12TPI drawbar.
I have bought some MT3 taper tooling which has a M12 Metric thread of course it don't fit.
Is it common practice to change the drawbar out with a piece of threaded rod of the correct thread?
Being a brand new mill I am a bit adverse to pulling my mill apart to do this modification, won't it void my warranty?
I thought when buying it, a new mill it would work out of the box with currently made metric tooling. (silly me)
The funniest part is, it is a 2020 Chinese made mill for a German company and it has an Imperial threaded Drawbar. WTF?

Very strange to hear that the drawbar for MT3 collets would be ½ x 12 TPI. Looking at the MT3 collets available from Little Machine Shop, they're threaded ⅜"-16.
Same with Shars
Also checked Arceuro Trade. They list both ⅜" Whit (Whitworth?) and M12 threads for MT3 collets.

Offhand, I'd say you'd be well advised to get a new drawbar!

PS - Did the mill come with any collets or chucks that match the included drawbar?

I have a new mill drill and it has an imperial 1/2 inch 12TPI drawbar.
I have bought some MT3 taper tooling which has a M12 Metric thread of course it don't fit.
Is it common practice to change the drawbar out with a piece of threaded rod of the correct thread?
Being a brand new mill I am a bit adverse to pulling my mill apart to do this modification, won't it void my warranty?
I thought when buying it, a new mill it would work out of the box with currently made metric tooling. (silly me)
The funniest part is, it is a 2020 Chinese made mill for a German company and it has an Imperial threaded Drawbar. WTF?

In China the number 13 is super unlucky and the population is very superstitious, so we see this a lot with 1/2" 12tpi or 14tpi threads...... lol

A good project would be to make a new draw bar. I have made several over the years and not that hard to do.
I used some hex material at the top, a piece of cold roll for the shaft and used a cut off bolt (grade8) with the
appropriate threads gas welded to the end. I have reefed on it for years and it hasn't broken yet.

I would add that Little Machine Shop (LMS) sells draw bars. You might call them, and ask if they have a draw bar which fits your model, which has a thread you prefer.

Hooray!
The machine shop that sold me the machine is going to supply me with a proper M12 threaded drawbar to fit the machine spec.
Thankfully they saw the error and are going to rectify it. Cheers

Fantastic! Great to hear that you're dealing with some good folks.

Back