New Mill/Drill

epanzella

Active User
Registered
Just got a Harbor Freight round column mill drill. The motor is marked 2hp and the manual says it's 220V but can be converted to 115V . The plug looks like a regular HOT/NEUTRAL/ROUND GROUND 115V plug. Does this mean it's already set up for 115V or do they use the same plug for both? The motor plate doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. There are 2 configurations (right and left) for 110V and 220V. Is one side forward and the other reverse?

DSC_0867.JPGDSC_0869.JPG

Exactly, the plate shows how to wire for both forward and reverse. However, consider the current draw on 110v, that's more than most standard outlets can provide. If you have an outlet that can deliver 20 amp you should be fine
I would run anything more than 1 HP on 220/240v; the motor and switch will last longer, run cooler

Last edited:
Exactly, the plate shows how to wire for both forward and reverse. However, consider the current draw on 110v, that's more than most standard outlets can provide. If you have an outlet that can deliver 20 amp you should be fine
I would run anything more than 1 HP on 220/240v; the motor and switch will last longer, run cooler
Thanks. The machine already has fwd/rev so I don't have to worry about that. I just have to figure out if it's factory wired as 220 or 110. I do plan on running it at 220 if it's not that way already.

I just have to figure out if it's factory wired as 220 or 110. I do plan on running it at 220 if it's not that way already.

The HF RF30s usually come prewired for 110V with a 110V plug/cord. If it came prewired for 220V it usually won't have a plug, just a cord with unterminated ends.

But of course you should check regardless, really quick & easy to just take the cover off the motor.

Oh & congrats on getting the milll! I know you've been wanting to get one for a while now.

Oh & congrats on getting the milll! I know you've been wanting to get one for a while now.
Thanks, Will. Yes I have lusted after a mill but I've been trying to mill whatever I needed on the lathe. It gets old shifting back and forth between turning and milling (and tramming). When the HF unit went on sale with a coupon for $960 i just couldn't resist any more. I promised the General that I'd sell one of my smokeless muzzle loaders to pay off the credit card bill! Her memory is scary good but I'm hoping for a bit of amnesia! LOL
Ed P

I think women have an X-linked "memory gene". They never forget, especially when you messed up, and can cite your failings in agonizing detail. Not saying it can't happen but I would start saying goodbye to that rifle of yours. :(

I think women have an X-linked "memory gene". They never forget, especially when you messed up, and can cite your failings in agonizing detail. Not saying it can't happen but I would start saying goodbye to that rifle of yours. :(
Yeah Mike, I hear that loud and clear. Although it's not my GOTO rifle I built it so it's like giving up one of my children. It was my only bargaining chip at the time but hindsight is 20/20.

Mine was wired 110V when it arrived. But I soon changed it to 220V. If you start it at the higher speeds it really loads a 110V line. MUCH, MUCH happier with 220v feed.

Yeah Mike, I hear that loud and clear. Although it's not my GOTO rifle I built it so it's like giving up one of my children. It was my only bargaining chip at the time but hindsight is 20/20.

Sounds like a nice rifle, what can you get for a child?

Back