New mill Wells-Index 745

You're going at lightning speed compared to me. It took me 14 months to get mine operational, and I didn't repaint anything!

Thanks for all the support guys. I'm doing my best and having fun with fixing up this mill.

You are doing a very nice job on this mill
I am patiently waiting [not really] for you to get to the head
I am stuck trying to figure out how the brass fork of the downfeed goes back together

I will be sure to take lots of pictures when I get to the head. I know it is very easy to forget how things go back together especially if a little time has past since disassembally.

Really great progress, especially with a wee lad in the house.

But gotta tell you: I kinda miss the green paint!

I really like your clausing mill, it looks great!
I like green machines too, I painted my South Bend 9a in green:

20180329_115549.jpg
For some reason I just wanted the mill in grey.

Thanks for following along everyone!

I got a little more work done on the Mill.

Got the table put back on the saddle. haven't installed the gibs or lead screw yet though.

20181217_110039.jpg

20181217_110052.jpg

I also got the way wipers installed.
20181217_110106.jpg

20181217_110056.jpg

20181217_110112.jpg

Its slowly starting to look like a milling machine again. I still have a ways to go yet but can't wait to start using it.

Also this isn't mill related, but I have a new addition to my shop:

20181217_110245.jpg
42in husky tool chest. I'm quite happy with it. It replaces an aging 26in waterloo tool chest as my main tool chest (for hand tools) The old 26in one will now be used for storing machine tooling.

That's about all I have to share for now.

Merry Christmas everyone!

So I got a little more work done on the mill.

I have to confess in my vigor to get the the mill torn down I didn't.really take pictures of anything. (Don't make the same mistake as me)

Up until now I was able to figure it all out without much trouble... Well, the X axis and all the associated parts were not so straight forward. Anyway after quite a few tries and a few hours. I got it all back together and working, with no 'spare parts'.

20181223_160853.jpg

20181223_160507.jpg

20181223_160520.jpg

I still need to install and adjust the gibs but that will be a job for another day.

When I take the head apart I'll be taking lots if pictures, I've learned my lesson about not taking disassembally photos.

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of time off until the new year, I was hoping to really get some work done on the Mill, but just my luck, I came down with the Flu today (lots of sick people at our family functions). So progress is going to be a bit slower than I hoped.

I did however manage to get out to the workshop for a little while today.

I got the gibs components for the X axis (table) all installed and did a rough adjustment. I don't yet have an oil gun or the oil nipples installed, so I will have to fine tune the gibs adjustment once I can get some oil on the sliding contact surfaces.

Mill as it sits now:

20181226_162528.jpg

Gibs intstalled:

20181226_162537.jpg
20181226_162547.jpg
Just a couple more small things to do then I'm no to dealing with the head.

Small update, got all the oil nipples cleaned up...
20181228_132057.jpg
I should have put plugs in all of the holes for the oil fittings before painting, since I had to run a tap down each hole to get the paint out...
20181228_132801.jpg

Oil nipples installed:

20181228_143742.jpg
20181228_143752.jpg20181228_143755.jpg
20181228_143802.jpg
20181228_143820.jpg

Did I miss it somewhere where you explain how you are refinishing the natural metal parts? Are you just buffing? Looking great!

Your "oil nipples" look to be regular standard grease zerks. I think you would be light years ahead installing a one shot oiler. Not all that expensive, or hard to do, and so much easier to use. Mike

Did I miss it somewhere where you explain how you are refinishing the natural metal parts? Are you just buffing? Looking great!

Nope you didn't miss anything. For the most part I use a 3M multi surface pad on an 8in buffer followed by a buffing pad with various compounds for bare metal surfaces that I want shiney. If somthing is rusty and I don't want to have it shiny I have a tank of evapo rust I can use or WD40 and a rag works to... depending on the situation.

Your "oil nipples" look to be regular standard grease zerks. I think you would be light years ahead installing a one shot oiler. Not all that expensive, or hard to do, and so much easier to use. Mike

Yes, the 'oil nipples' seem pretty much the same as grease nipple to me, they are just what came with the Mill. The previous owners had in fact used grease on them, which was a big part of the reason for doing this tear down... so I could clean out all the oil ports and swarf.

Yes, I am really considering a ons shot oiler they seem like a nice upgrade. My index mill has a different number of oil ports than a comparable bridgeport so I haven't really found a plug and play kit for it yet. If you know of one please let me know?

If no kit exists I can proabbly make a one shot oiler from off the shelf parts, I just would have to spend a bit of time thinking it out. But, I want to finish the rest of the mill and get it all working as is before I try to make my own oiler kit.

Back