New mill Wells-Index 745

I don't remember how the worm gear came out. I will see if I can get mine out.

Thank you for the information. From the looks of your pictures my issues seems to be that there is a gear that slides up and down on the shaft with the pivot fork is blocking the pivot fork from 'pivoting' enough to clear the housing so it can slide off the shaft. So next time I need to find a way to seperate that sliding gear from the pivot fork.

I on your head did you also remove the worm gear that meshes with the gear that lowers the quill? If its still in place that is the only thing that I could see stopping your gear from seating properly. It looks like from the picture that it is in fact that worm that is stopping your gear from seating. Maybe try seating that gear then installing the worm gear. On Mine the gear was freed-up once I removed th3 worm gear and it would come out easily except for the pivot fork. I will know more once I can see behind that gear though.

One more question how did you seperate the pivot fork/bushing from the the gear that slides up and down with it?

Thank you again for the help it is much appreciated.

So with advise/pictures from azshadeguy I was able to get the bushing and pivot fork off today. There was some sort of little retaing ring that was holding it on. Once that was removed it came right off and I was able to take the gear out behind it :)

retaining ring removed...

pivot fork removed...

Sliding gear removed....

main gear for quill removed...

Very grimey housing... glad I got the gear off so I can clean it up.

Housing after a very quick wipe down....

Now I just need to figure out how to get that one remaing worm gear out...

I don't have a manual. I have heard its not very good other than to get part #. So I didn't bother since mine had no broken parts.

I'll have a look at that manual you posted the link for, thank you.

That clip is very small and was obsured by the grease on my machine. Definietly easy to forget.

Were you able to get your gear seated with the worm removed azshadeguy?

Back