New mill Wells-Index 745

Thanks I can't tell you how much you helped. I really did not think it was hitting that worm gear.
As to your worm gear I can't see how to get it out.
It looks like I replaced both bearings on that shaft but I don't how I got it out

I got started on cleaning up the head. All that old grease did not want to come off!

The head after cleaning...

Some parts after cleaning...

I am amazed by how good of condition all of the parts are, once cleaned up everything looks like new, even after 40 years of use.

Still got a bit more cleaning to do.

That cleaned up nice. Did you get the worm gear out?
That little roller bearing in your picture. Where did that come from?
I have forgotten so much its not funny

I orignally thought that this little roller bearing was just a washer as it was all stuck together with gease...I didn't realize it was a bearing until I sprayed some brake cleaner on it.
That little bearing was in the head casting where the far side of this shaft comes out of the head.
In this spot...
Hope that helps.

looks great did that gear ever come out?
What kind of grease are you putting in the head

I tried to persude that gear to come out a few times but it is really in there and I don't want to break something, so I have just been working around it. Still working on getting all the internals cleaned up. My wife (and baby) will be at a baby shower tomorrow so I should have a little time to work on the Mill tomorrow.

Back