New mill.

rzw0wr

Registered
Registered
I purchased a new mill from Smithy earlier this year and I can't get to work like I think it should.

I emailed Smithy several times and the person that replied was helpful and concerned.

Bottom line, I want to get another mill.

I have heard about a man named Matt on here.

Are his mills any good?
Does anyone have one?

Thanks,
Dale

Matt owns Precision Matthews @precisionmatthews.com.

Go to the Sponsored Forums/Precision Matthews sub forum and you will find a lot of PM owners there.

I currently own two, a PM935 mill and a 1340GT lathe. I owned a little PM25 before these.

I'm not sure what your budget is & what size mill you want but I'd go with Grizzly or Precision Matthews rather than Smithy. Not that Smithy is bad, better options & support as well as price too probably with these two.

Many of us here have machines (Precision Matthews) from Matt (@qualitymachinetools). He is a sponsor of this site also & has his own sub section.

I have a mill & lathe from him purchased before he was a site sponsor here & before I joined/found this site. He is great to deal with & not one of those people that ignore you after a sale has been completed. He has taken care of me many times when I wasn't expecting as well as many others here. If/when I buy more machines it will mostly likely be from Matt, unless I find a Mori Seki. :big grin:

I have been very happy with my Grizzly Lathe and PM Mill.

PM and Matt are ace high in my book. I have a lathe and mill from them.

I bought PM1440 GS lathe and a PM950 V from Precision Matthews. Very pleased with them. Have had them 8 months.

Well....
My son in law machinist showed up the other day.
He sat me straight on a few things.

The mill is doing just what it is designed to do.

It is not designed for what I was doing.

Full cutter at .200" is NOT what this machine was designed to do.
Hmmm who would have thought.

I was reminded that this is a small mill to do small things in a small way.

I was told to keep the mill and learn to use it. There is nothing wrong with the mill just the operator.

Well, I guess will keep this mill after all.

Well....
My son in law machinist showed up the other day.
He sat me straight on a few things.

The mill is doing just what it is designed to do.

It is not designed for what I was doing.

Full cutter at .200" is NOT what this machine was designed to do.
Hmmm who would have thought.

I was reminded that this is a small mill to do small things in a small way.

I was told to keep the mill and learn to use it. There is nothing wrong with the mill just the operator.

Well, I guess will keep this mill after all.
That’s what is wrong with my mill as well....the operator! Hang in there....

Small mill for small things, bigger mill for bigger things. There's no law against having two mills;)

Back