[4]

New model of a small mill coming, some manufacturing pics from the factory to look at.

qualitymachinetools

Active User
H-M Supporter - Site Sponsor
New model we have been working on, a high end, smaller mill, built in Taiwan. Its been about 2 years working on this, but its finally getting there, expected to have them ready mid fall this year. I do not have all of the exact details typed up on it just yet, as I do, we will get it on the web site. Its going to be sized between our PM-25MV (but more travel in the Y and Z) and PM-30MV, Higher spindle speed, (around 4000-4500 RPM), triple bearing balanced spindle with angular contact bearings, super high quality little machine. Pricing just under $3000 so still affordable but excellent for the people who want to spend a little more for the highest precision available.

Some pictures of the machine being made included below, I think many of you will be interested to see how its done. No one out there has anything that will even come close to what this machine is as far as quality.

Attachments

qualitymachinetools

Active User
Pics here showing how they fit everything together. It is all checked very carefully

Attachments

qualitymachinetools

Active User
And finally some pics of approximately what it will look like when its ready. Some changes still happening from this machine, but pretty close overall to what it will be.

Attachments

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I've been wondering when you were going to announce that Matt. Well done!

I love the spindle speed range. And a one-shot oiling system. Cool!

I could see one of these in the shop for working on small stuff. :)

davidpbest

Registered
Please suggest they use a body filler that actually dries hard and doens't flake off like chalk, and offer an option for upgraded paint/epoxy application. Every machine I get from China or Taiwan has total crap for paint, and the body filler they use to smooth casting is like chalk and is easily damaged. Happy to pay extra as an option for something that doesn't require disassembly, stripping and body work to achieve a durable lasting finish.

qualitymachinetools

Active User
Yes there is not much filler on these, some, but not a lot compared to most. I wish it was possible to do them without any at all, but its just not, there are always some spots somewhere in a casting that would not look right when painted. The paint on these is a better paint than the other smaller models we have, we did go over that.

rwm

Active User
That looks great. This may be exactly what I am looking for! I assume the spindle is belt drive with no gears? I will be watching the website.
Thanks for sharing, Matt.
Robert

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
The mount for the BLDC motor has a slot on the right side (viewing from the front) so I suspect it probably has a high/low belt drive. Just a SWAG on my part though. ;)

StevSmar

Registered
Looks very interesting. I’ll look forward to seeing details on your website as they become available.

I enjoyed seeing the construction photos, nice to get an appreciation of how things are made.

Landmark

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
It looks like a great machine. I really enjoyed seeing how it is coming together. I love the PM30-MV that I got but wish this machine was available at the time I was getting a mill for CNC conversion.

Bamban

Active User
Nicely done, Matt.

Now, how about design a PM1236TV with 8 inch bed, enclosed QCGB, cast iron stand, and a short headstock like the PM1236GT/PM1340GT?

Back to your thread....

rwm

Active User
Matt- any ballpark idea on the weight of this machine? I am very interested in ordering one.
Robert

qualitymachinetools

Active User
Nicely done, Matt.

Now, how about design a PM1236TV with 8 inch bed, enclosed QCGB, cast iron stand, and a short headstock like the PM1236GT/PM1340GT?

Back to your thread....
Trying for a smaller lathe, but the price might hold this one up. We just couldn't get it to where it would be reasonable. Not yet anyway.

ADK_MechETech

Registered
Very nice. I looked at your machines a while ago, but ended up picking up a lathe instead (big mistake). Any chance this machine could be supplied "CNC ready"? I saw you don't have any CNC machines listed on the website anymore and that is my end goal. It would be awesome if I could get the machine delivered ready to bolt on motors and connect to a controller!

qualitymachinetools

Active User
We do plan to make this easy to convert to CNC, we allowed extra room to put the ball screws in and possibly offer one as CNC ready in the future, but thats still up in the air.

They should be on the web site in the next 30-40 days, and first shipment completely checked out, ready to go, and on the way in shortly after. We are not too far out on them at all now.

Kyain

Registered
I'm so glad I stopped in here checking on more things. Had my eyes on a pm-30 setup for eventual conversion to CNC, but I'm in no rush and don't mind waiting on this new unit.

I know you said it's between the 25 and the 30, but do you have any actual travel spec's on this one yet? And is the one shot oiler a standard feature on these?

StevSmar

Registered
... but do you have any actual travel spec's on this one yet? And is the one shot oiler a standard feature on these?
Based on the model number PM-728V-T it appears that:
728- table is 7”x28”
V- variable speed
T- made in Taiwan.

It looks like a one shot Oiler in the photos as far as I can tell.

I’d like to know what mystery accessory the three, blue, louvre-like racing stripes are for on the head. Surely these aren’t purely decorative...(tongue in cheek)

shooter123456

Registered
Based on the model number PM-728V-T it appears that:
728- table is 7”x28”
V- variable speed
T- made in Taiwan.

It looks like a one shot Oiler in the photos as far as I can tell.

I’d like to know what mystery accessory the three, blue, louvre-like racing stripes are for on the head. Surely these aren’t purely decorative...(tongue in cheek)
It is a well proven fact that racing stripes increase the speed of whatever they are on by a minimum of 30%. Those help move the head up and down much faster.

[5] [7]