New motor on my South Bend 13 makes noises

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I will throw this out to this knowing group of electrical experts.
The lathe came with a new motor mounted and wired. It is single phase 220.
Most of the time I turn on the lathe and all is well, quiet, smooth and powerful.
Every once and a while, it makes this loud humming, growl. The motor is spinning like normal.
I immediately turn it off, let it stop then turn it back on=quiet as always.
Any ideas?

Might be a problem with the motor capacitor centrifugal start switch sticking in the engaged position.

Thank you Bob.
I have a buddy who owns, Industrial Electronics, he specializes in commercial and industrial repairs including electric motors. He will be able to assist with that type of problem.
I should become more familiar with the wiring components on this machine anyway.

If the centrifugal switch is suspected, you could extend a wire from the capacitor and temporarily install an external switch to break the circuit.
Then when it growls throw the switch and if the growl stops you've isolated the problem.
Alternately, open the motor up and inspect the centrifugal switch and check it for sticking
Mark

Mark, you obviously have a grasp of electric motor technology. I will take your advice and follow up with your idea.
I’m curious what a qualified electrician will recommend. Believe me, I will share the ideas you guys have given me.
If I can only get him to come over to my garage/ shop. He does like food.
Thank you.
Jeff

Last edited:
A qualified electrician will try to sell you a new motor, a new breaker panel, and a total rewire of your whole shop. Maybe the whole house. LOL

Are you sure the growl doesn't have a simpler cause (loose cover, vibration problem, etc)?
M

Back