New motor questions

My electricity bill comment earlier was a bit tongue in cheek but it involved replacing a half HP with either a 1 or 1.5 HP. And it was an after-thought after mentioning several other reasons not to double or triple the motor size over what the OEM recommended.

I think the biggest thing to remember is somethings gotta give if you crash or bind up. I keep my belt a touch looser then it could be it kinda acts like a clutch. with more power available at the motor more bad things can happen if you don't have a safeguard.. some lathes have a shear pin on the there leadscrew... logans don't! least my model dont

And the other thing to remember is that the purpose of a shear pin or a slip clutch like the late Atlas 12" has is to protect the lead screw drive train. If you run the carriage or something on it into the chuck, the only benefit those parts see from pin or clutch is that the gear train doesn't continue trying to make the damage worse. But they do nothing to reduce the other damage. The only two things that will do that is to either stall the motor or slip the belts.

Back