New MSC mill to me

From the picture and your dimensions, it could be a TPG/TPU 322 or 323

I am trying to tighten the saddle and table up on this old mill. When I got it, it had play. I didnt really care cause it was a new toy. Now that I've messed with it some, I am trying to remove the play so it will cut better. I ordered the gibs(one is on backorder) and it has to be modified from brand new. They are larger and need "scraped" as I was told. Has anyone done this before? The sides I think will be easy. The face is my concern. Its tapered from end to end(approx 20 inches long or so). The only thing I can think of is put the old gib 180 degress opposite under the new one. In my mind that should make the taper on both, cause the top to be flat. Good enough, now how to hold it is another story, and if I do it that way, the table will have no gib. Any help or ideas out there???

Here is what i'm up against. I looked up "scraping" on youtube. Doesn't look something I'd be able to do.

IMG_20171102_130610922.jpg

IMG_20171102_130645989_TOP.jpgIMG_20171102_130623643.jpg

Nice mill , looks to be in good condition. Make sure you keep it lubed up . As far as the scraping the most of what you have to do isn't really hard . Part of scraping is providing tiny lines to carry oil . The swirl is to make the oil move as the machines used. Just remember to stone the burrs and sharp edges. You can do it ... it's part of being a machinist

Nice mill , looks to be in good condition. Make sure you keep it lubed up . As far as the scraping the most of what you have to do isn't really hard . Part of scraping is providing tiny lines to carry oil . The swirl is to make the oil move as the machines used. Just remember to stone the burrs and sharp edges. You can do it ... it's part of being a machinist

I admire your faith in my abilities! Thanks. But really I dont think thats a job I would want to start. :)

Now to the funny part. I have messed with the gibs several times. The saddle(goes forward and back from front to rear) is loose. Gib wont cure it(plus its on backorder, till January or feb. The one I took pics of(the table? Left to right movement) I have messed with it several times as well. But I was looking at it again to try and figure something out and noticed the bolt to tighten it was not going all the way into the bore. Of course this all after I buy new parts and have it shipped and posted about it here! I literally stuck the bolt in in a cordless drill and used a file to file the OD down slightly, reinstalled it and it the gib took up all the slack in the table. I feel like an idiot. Not the first time either!

The saddle is another story. I ordered a set of 12 in long feeler gauges and cut one to fit in between the gib and the saddle(where the rubbing does NOT occur) and it took up the slack in it. It actually tightened up well. Well see if it lasts. Anyway, its way better than before. Going to go play with it now! Thanks.

Would anybody have an idea of a cost effective power feed for this machine. It has has issues since I got it. Want to replace it or maybe fix it. It appears(from memory, been in the mountains all last week) its the big gear inside it. Are those gears all the same? If its not worth doing, what would be a good replacement power feed that won't kill the bank too bad? Thank you.

Back