New MX-210V 8x16 lathe - a beginner's first lathe experience

Post #15 on tailstock says video unavailable, so it will be tough to watch. Bad link?

Must be - here is a fresh link:

It is a bad link. You can go back and edit that post with the correct link. Somehow the link got truncated... easy fix.

Yeah, that doesn't look so hot. Can you get a close up still of the pyramidal notch? It seems not too bad. Other side is not finished, or finished poorly. Not sure how much you should take off though. If finished smooth, that would be a lot of material! Lets just say, that does not look like a "factory first". (As opposed to a second.)

Last edited:
I can see the videos here in the forums - is that one working now? I see that WobblyHand saw it - I will try to get some closeup shots in a bit.

I can see the videos here in the forums - is that one working now? I see that WobblyHand saw it - I will try to get some closeup shots in a bit.
The new link works.

And the second box just arrived! Even the little toolbox is intact and, as expected, the 4 jaw chuck is self centering. That is something I just don't understand - perhaps there is a use case such as drilling small square plates. Actually, I need to modify the hole in my QCTP base so that might just work for a boring operation.

And the second box just arrived! Even the little toolbox is intact and, as expected, the 4 jaw chuck is self centering. That is something I just don't understand - perhaps there is a use case such as drilling small square plates. Actually, I need to modify the hole in my QCTP base so that might just work for a boring operation.

Self centering is basically like a 3 jaw for square stock. Kind of odd that they include that as independent 4 jaw are usually cheaper.

Both chucks needed to be completely disassembled and cleaned as they were very, very rough. Once cleaned however they are working pretty well. The kit came with 8 different carbide tool holders - PPK brand. I see them sold on eBay pretty cheaply but I had expected something even worse than these. I had planned to pick up a HSS set as a beginner - any reason I should not try these out?

It also came with a "micrometer" which I tested against some digital calipers I know to be good. They are off by over 20 thou - those will not be used.

Attachments

• IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 113
Back