New Old Continental Band Saw.............

Although the sheet metal guards that were added are surely practical, they do take away from the 'lines' of this rather handsome machine.
A lot of DIY’s are sans guards. I’m not a stickler for OEM, restoration or nice paint jobs but stuff has to be safe. On my low brow HF 14” knockoff the upper guard was just a box and was useless because I went from like a 6” pulley to a 14” pulley for the double reduction. So as I always do I looked at the engineering supplies(junk pile) and spied some stainless perforated sheet I’d found on CL and used that and some sheetmetal also from the engineering stock. The knobs that secure it are actually feet off some appliance that were not needed. I had bags of them. They are plastic or rubber with 3/8” threads. I use them all over for knobs. The great thing about your machine is the pattern for the castings would be easy to recreate with like 1/4” plywood if so inclined. My guard is not so artful but works.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 9
Regarding blade sfm, my Jet VBS-900 vertical bandsaw has a 4 speed shifter transmission as well as a Reeves variable speed drive. It from as slow you would ever consider to faster than my Laguna bandsaw. So between the 4 speed and the Reeves, I never know what speed it's at!

Neat looking saw.

I’m curious too about the missing letters. I see some very subtle ghosting of the “N” and “M” in their respective locations and I wonder if these two came unglued from the pattern and stayed in the sand but it didn’t get noticed until after a few more moulds were done. Seems odd that somebody wouldn’t have noticed, but you never know.

Back