New Old Continental Band Saw.............

Yeah, I don't know where you would use 5sfpm lol. I settled on 118sfpm and it does it all for me because of available stuff. And that was after diving many a forum and looking at speed plates on various bandsaws. Sometimes I wish for a little faster but since I got the air powered sled going and I don't have to stand there and push it has solved all the problems.

Good luck on the motor mount. I'm glad you are getting back to this as it had been so long I'd completely forgotten about it. Very worthy project and good job.

I use 80 SFPM a lot on my big band saw. I find 120 to be too high for 4140 using my blades.

I use 80 SFPM a lot on my big band saw. I find 120 to be too high for 4140 using my blades.

Thanks for the input. It is appreciated.
My existing saw is fixed speed, so I do NOT have a great idea of what speeds would be preferred.

-brino

I got one of these saws last summer and it’s time to get it operational. Lots of good info here. I’ll add some pictures when there’s some.

Cheers, Andrew

PS Brian, sent you a message about getting together about your base.

I got one of these saws last summer and it’s time to get it operational. Lots of good info here. I’ll add some pictures when there’s some.

Cheers, Andrew

PS Brian, sent you a message about getting together about your base.
You aught to send a note to brino.
Looks like a good design.
I see this is your first post. Congratulations.
Don’t be bashful. We would love to see your saw.

You aught to send a note to brino.

Actually user @Banjo has been very patient with me, I need to get back to his private messages.

I promised him that old base I took off my saw as I will not be using it.
I think he's traveling up my way again soon......

Brian

Actually user @Banjo has been very patient with me, I need to get back to his private messages.

I promised him that old base I took off my saw as I will not be using it.
I think he's traveling up my way again soon......

Brian
I love it when members can help each other out. I’m lucky I have a member local and we’ve been able to share stuff. He has been super helpful for projects that I couldn’t have done without him.

I know all about timeslip involved with progress on projects. My 14” bandsaw once converted to metal speed has been pivotal to projects in my shop.

I don’t know what kind of motor mount you are considering but mine was adapted off a defunct table saw. It originally had those horrible slots that seem common to these saw. The table saw motor mount is the hinge type where the weight of the motor is what keeps belt tension. I love it. No mucking about trying to align the belts/pulleys which was ridiculous before. And it’s super simple to change the belt if need be.

Hello all, yes Brian and I did exchange a few PM's. My most recent one hadn't got a reply for a bit (I think because it's easy to miss notifications of one) and I was headed up that way and was hoping to connect. I'd seen he was active on posts so that's why I tried my, perhaps a bit spammy, post which ended up working like a charm. Brian and I got together and he graciously passed on the metal base that came with his saw. I think I'll work fine and will let me get working on getting this saw operational again. My plan is to use this saw for wood.Continental Bandsaw.JPG

As requested, here are some pictures, one showing the stand in front of the saw. I took the table off to bring the saw home as I didn't want to risk damage. It's interesting that a few of the letters are missing in the casting. Adds interest, and perhaps makes this saw unique. Although the sheet metal guards that were added are surely practical, they do take away from the 'lines' of this rather handsome machine.

And for added discussion, has anyone seen a pulley with this extra slot in the hub? IIRC it is almost tapped, but a bolt won't stay in there. I'm darned if I can think of why it's there. There is a place for a traditional grub screw against the key.

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• Continental Bandsaw Bottom.JPG
    Continental Bandsaw Bottom.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Continental Bandsaw Top.JPG
    Continental Bandsaw Top.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2663[1].JPG
    IMG_2663[1].JPG
    389.3 KB · Views: 9
Hello all, yes Brian and I did exchange a few PM's. My most recent one hadn't got a reply for a bit (I think because it's easy to miss notifications of one) and I was headed up that way and was hoping to connect. I'd seen he was active on posts so that's why I tried my, perhaps a bit spammy, post which ended up working like a charm. Brian and I got together and he graciously passed on the metal base that came with his saw. I think I'll work fine and will let me get working on getting this saw operational again. My plan is to use this saw for wood.View attachment 448252

As requested, here are some pictures, one showing the stand in front of the saw. I took the table off to bring the saw home as I didn't want to risk damage. It's interesting that a few of the letters are missing in the casting. Adds interest, and perhaps makes this saw unique. Although the sheet metal guards that were added are surely practical, they do take away from the 'lines' of this rather handsome machine.

And for added discussion, has anyone seen a pulley with this extra slot in the hub? IIRC it is almost tapped, but a bolt won't stay in there. I'm darned if I can think of why it's there. There is a place for a traditional grub screw against the key.

cheers, Andrew
Totally irrelevant question, but why do you suppose that there are missing letters in the casting, one N and one M? Damaged pattern?

@Banjo ,

Andrew it is interesting that you have the lower wheel guard. I don't think my saw even has the hinge location for one....... and actually it couldn't work very well as I have "sunken" mine into that frame.....

Brian

Back