New/old lathe motor swap options

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
I just bought a second Logan Lathe last week. This one is a Model 820, and has a 220v 3ph 3/4hp motor. The lathe has forward and reverse, which is one of the primary reasons I bought it. Here is my question: Can I replace the motor with a 115v single phase 1hp motor? The drum switch should still allow for reversing the motor since most AC motors are reversible, correct?

I have one 220v 50a outlet in my garage, and my air compressor, 2 welders, and powder coat oven all need it. I'm constantly plugging and unplugging machines into that one outlet. It would make my life easier if this lathe used 115v like my other Logan does. I don't need variable speeds. My old lathe does just fine with the exceptions of reverse and quick change gears.

Thank you for your input and ideas,

GG

lathemotor.jpg

lathemotor.jpg

Most but not all single phase motors are reversible. You probably could use that reversing switch.

Or you could go with a VFD and use the 3 phase motor you have. The TECO JNEV 101-H1 VFD is 115V input 220 3 phase out, it's good for up to 4.2 amps, plenty for that motor. It would add variable speed which the single phase motor wouldn't have. You could probably use the reversing switch with the VFD but it would get wired to the low voltage control inputs of the VFD NOT between the motor and the VFD!

Since the Logan 820 has a threaded spindle, be careful with reverse!

Here is one place that has the Teco JNEV 101-H for $131 + shipping.

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=4705

I have a Teco VFD using the original 3 phase motor on my 820.

The CluelessNewBe is just full of good ideas. Stole all my thunder. Just don't know why you didn't just reverse the original lathe, unless it was the reason to the wife why you NEEDED a second lathe! Then, clever move.

What I really wanted was a machine with a quick change gear box. Doing manual feeds because you're turning a piece down to thread, and don't want to change gears every 15 minutes sucks. You're right, I could have probably bought a drum switch and reversed the motor on my other Logan. The price was right on the "new" one though. That's my story, and I'm s-s-s-sticking to it! :whistle:

GG

Just make sure that the drum switch contacts are rated at 125% of the motor full load current.

I agree with Clueless. Unless you have a single phase motor sitting around, you'll probably spend as much or more for a new motor as you will for the VFD set up. The VFD will give you the variable speed plus can give soft start/stop which may be beneficial if you are going to run in reverse with the threaded spindle.

Steve

With the dealers electric page I got my teco jnev for what every one else was charging and a 3 phase 1hp motor was included in the price! What a bargain. I would go with the 220v input. If you can wire up motors you can add a 220v breaker, space permitting. You could also wire more outlets onto the circuit and use only one at a time, though a 50amp breaker wouldn't do much for your lathe. Just some thoughts. Either way, 110 or 220, that is a great solution and a great bargain website!

Re: Update

I mounted the new motor in the lathe today, and I'm in the process of wiring the drum switch. The first try didn't work. I did a Google search on "wiring a Baldor electric motor to a Furnas drum switch", and got results on another machine shop site. When I wired it up the way it was shown, no damage, but no joy either. It is wired for low voltage (115), and the Furnas drum switch is a Style R 1143. Here is what I have:

BaldorMotor001.jpgBaldorMotor002.jpgFurnasDrumswitch001.jpgFurnasDrumswitch002.jpg

This is how it is wired now:

Drum terminals
1 - 2
3 - 4
5 - 6
as you face the front of the switch.

Switch terminal #1 to motor lead 5 (start winding)
Switch terminal #2 to motor leads 2, 4, and neutral (white) L2
Switch terminal #3 empty
Switch terminal #4 to motor lead 8 (start winding)
Switch terminal #5 to motor leads 1, 3
Switch terminal #6 to power in (black) L1

This motor has (6) wires numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8. Some Baldors have a wire 9, but this one doesn't and I'm not sure what the difference is. The wiring diagram I used showed the 9 wire going to my empty switch terminal #3.

Can anyone explain how to wire this correctly with forward and reverse? Thank you!

GG

BaldorMotor001.jpg BaldorMotor002.jpg FurnasDrumswitch001.jpg FurnasDrumswitch002.jpg

Could you post or draw out the switch contacts in the three switch positions. Should be on the inside cover of the switch.

Here are the internal connections of the drum switch:

FurnasDrumswitch003.jpg

Thank you!

GG

FurnasDrumswitch003.jpg

Back