New OM 12 x 36

RBaker

Registered
Registered
Hey folks newby here. Took delivery of a 12 x 36 PM on Friday 9/25. In the process of set up I discovered the following:
1) The front shield is to short by about 4 inches
2) Foot brake lever between the base cabinets also seems short
3) Carriage stop crashes into rubber grommet on carriage
4) Seems there is no switch between coolant pump and main power panel. So it is on whenever lathe is powered up?

Contacted PM, they said aware of front shield problem and are working on it. My question, being a newby, is are these type things par for the coarse?
Have not even mounted machine, mush less tested DRO or other machine functions. I was led to believe that the machine would be fully tested and accessed prior to delivery. I am giving them time to figure it out. Just wondering if this is what to expect going forward?

Welcome to the group RBaker!
I'm not a PM owner, but I've read a lot of posts around here and it seems that pretty much all Chinese machines require
some "adjustments" in the beginning. The good news is that the PM machines really are good lathes and more importantly,
PM provides actual customer service. The vast majority of PM owners around here are happy with their machines in the end.

Welcome to the group!
The issues that you outline, although concerning at the moment, are solvable. As with nearly all sellers of machinery, each machine is NOT taken out of its crate and inspected. Inspection is only done if there is suspected damage.
PM will make it right for you. I own two PM machines and you will not find better support. BUT, keep in mind that we are buying machines that are being produced and shipped from a foreign country. Sometimes there are glitches but, unfortunately, that comes with the territory.
I am curious about your issue number 3. That does not make sense to me. Pictures?
As far as the coolant pump, is there not a switch on the pump itself?

Welcome to the group!
The issues that you outline, although concerning at the moment, are solvable. As with nearly all sellers of machinery, each machine is NOT taken out of its crate and inspected. Inspection is only done if there is suspected damage.
PM will make it right for you. I own two PM machines and you will not find better support. BUT, keep in mind that we are buying machines that are being produced and shipped from a foreign country. Sometimes there are glitches but, unfortunately, that comes with the territory.
I am curious about your issue number 3. That does not make sense to me. Pictures?
As far as the coolant pump, is there not a switch on the pump itself?
There are not any labels on the front of the machine. However, I have discovered the pump switch, it is to the left of the emergency stop button, It has a little hydrant symbol. So all is good there. Also PM has said they know of the front shield issue and are working on a replacement.

As for the carriage stop hitting the rubber grommet on the carriage see the attached pics. I could possibly turn down the stop shaft or trim the rubber housing on the carriage.

Thanks for the help with a very new lathe owner!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_124715779.jpg
    IMG_20200928_124715779.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20200928_130131701.jpg
    IMG_20200928_130131701.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20200928_130154880.jpg
    IMG_20200928_130154880.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20200928_130206393.jpg
    IMG_20200928_130206393.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 189
Do people actually keep those chuck shields on? One of the first things I did was remove it. :) It might make more sense with flood coolant though. I think I would just screw a bit of plexi on there and see if you can't get them to send a nicer one later. Yes, it shouldn't really be the case on a new machine like that, but it sounds like they are trying to get it sorted out.

For the stop, that is odd. It looks almost like either it or the carriage was changed at some point. On my PM1127 the rod hits the metal of the carriage, but I don't have a grommet there. Does it go over the ways? I only really use mine for Joe Pi style threading, preferring the DRO for most things, and I suspect it would work fine for that. I don't think I would turn down the shaft, perhaps make a little extension that moves it out a little or just has a smaller tip? Might make a fun first lathe project...

Welcome to HM and I hope you enjoy the lathe.

Welcome - and it sounds like your problems are going to be solved quickly.

Do people actually keep those chuck shields on? One of the first things I did was remove it. :) It might make more sense with flood coolant though. I think I would just screw a bit of plexi on there and see if you can't get them to send a nicer one later. Yes, it shouldn't really be the case on a new machine like that, but it sounds like they are trying to get it sorted out.

For the stop, that is odd. It looks almost like either it or the carriage was changed at some point. On my PM1127 the rod hits the metal of the carriage, but I don't have a grommet there. Does it go over the ways? I only really use mine for Joe Pi style threading, preferring the DRO for most things, and I suspect it would work fine for that. I don't think I would turn down the shaft, perhaps make a little extension that moves it out a little or just has a smaller tip? Might make a fun first lathe project...

Welcome to HM and I hope you enjoy the lathe.
Hey ttabbal thanks for the reply. Your right, in my admitted limited experience. I also dislike the chuck shield. It will come off. The carriage stops travels well over the way so a solution is in the future. Heard from PM - they said go ahead and install machine on the stand and worry about the front shield and foot brake later. Not happy with this, but it is what it is. My dog says to chill !!!

Welcome.

What are you referring to as the "front shield"? I have a PM1236 but have not heard of this part.

What do you mean by foot brake too short? Like is the rod on the left side too short to attach to the linkage?

Welcome.

What are you referring to as the "front shield"? I have a PM1236 but have not heard of this part.

What do you mean by foot brake too short? Like is the rod on the left side too short to attach to the linkage?
The front shield spans the underneath between the two bases. Hides the coolant, power and other lines. The foot break rod seems to have been designed for a shorter machine. The shield is 29 5/8 inches needs to be close to 34 inches

The front shield spans the underneath between the two bases. Hides the coolant, power and other lines. The foot break rod seems to have been designed for a shorter machine. The shield is 29 5/8 inches needs to be close to 34 inches
The foot brake cross rod is short to span distance between cabinets.

Back