New Owner Of A Compact 8...I have an odd question!

I suggest you leave the headstock intact unless there is excessive spindle run out. The rest of the lathe comes apart without much difficulty. Keep the parts breakdown handy and it will be much simpler than you think. Try to group your parts in separate zip locks as they come off. Remember that nothing needs to be forced or pounded on with Emco lathes. Ask if you are not sure how to do something.

All the Emco-Maier lathes are excellent. They also made a milling machine, the FB-2 which is also quite desirable and rare.
Several of their lathes (including the Compact 8 I think) had a provision to mount a milling head at the rear of the bed
Sears also sold a Craftsman branded version of the Compact 8 back in the 70s
mark

All the Emco-Maier lathes are excellent. They also made a milling machine, the FB-2 which is also quite desirable and rare.
Several of their lathes (including the Compact 8 I think) had a provision to mount a milling head at the rear of the bed
Sears also sold a Craftsman branded version of the Compact 8 back in the 70s
mark
Thanks for the affirmation of the quality of these machines. I have only used one other metal lathe but this one is hands down a much nicer machine. It feels like what I would think an industrial lathe would feel like but scaled down to a hobby sized machine. Very happy and excited with my purchase, no doubt about it!

The milling attachment on the Compact 8 is the same one used on the Compact 5. Very small, very light duty. Not recommended but if you want one, I may know someone with one for sale.

The milling attachment on the Compact 8 is the same one used on the Compact 5. Very small, very light duty. Not recommended but if you want one, I may know someone with one for sale.
I could get good use out of one for sure. Most of the things I make are in plastic or aluminum so that would probably work out well in my case. I don't know that I could afford one right now though, but I would definitely be interested in obtaining one. I have a need for one right now for some drilling in plastic (pvc and hdpe) that I have been doing on a drill press.

I could get good use out of one for sure. Most of the things I make are in plastic or aluminum so that would probably work out well in my case. I don't know that I could afford one right now though, but I would definitely be interested in obtaining one. I have a need for one right now for some drilling in plastic (pvc and hdpe) that I have been doing on a drill press.

Let me see if my friend would entertain the idea of letting his go. It is essentially unused and is complete. I do not know what kind of price he would have in mind but I'll ask and you can decide if you can handle it.

For the materials you're working with, that little milling attachment would work well.

Back