New owner

B

Brento

Forum Guest
Register Today
I am the new owner of a South Bend model 9A for 600$. Will need a dusting off and such but has some tooling to go with it. Ill have pictures of it this saturday when i pick it up. I checked and the seller said it has all of the gears and it was a quick change model. Ill have to check it over bc i believe you can get more gears for these correct? I know one of my first projects is to do some metric threads. Is there any tips i should know about for this machine?

Does anyone know how much these apparatus’s weigh? My plan was to put it upstairs on a concrete slab above my dads office in his automotive repair shop. That was when i was getting the grizzly 7x14 now that i have this he said and i quote “How the hell are you going to get that up there.” I said “I will take it apart” and he continues with “What are you nuts?”

Weight for a 3-1/2 foot bed is about 375 lbs. Maybe a little more.

Hmm ok i wonder wat im going to do with this thing then.

I put my SB 9a in the basement. I took it apart to rebuild it. But even b4 that I had to take it apart to put it in the van.
The head comes off easily.
Take the banjo off the end and loosen the bolts that bolt the head on. Remove the head. Remove the tailstock.
move the carriage all the way toward the tailstock.
put a block of wood under the gear box to support the gear box. See if you can wedge it tight. Remove the 3 screws that hold the gearbox on. Carefully pull the gear box away from the bed so that the lead screw pulls out of the carriage..
Now you can remove the apron and carriage. Support the apron with a block of wood while loosening it.
Remove the plate at the back of the carriage underneath...
Each part should now be light enough to lift. The bed is the heaviest if I remember correctly.
Remove the lead screw from the gearbox. You will need to replace the felts so it's a good time to get that done... Order from ebay the rebuild kit.
It's a nice lathe.

Thanks now with taking this stuff all off will it effect the tolerances of the machine at all? Do you remember what type of bolts they were as well? Just so i can get an idea on what tools ill need.

Do you have enough room to skid it up the stairs using a winch or come-a-long. If so, it can be bolted to runners and skidded that way.

Well the stairs are L shaped going aroud the office and the other platform isnt wide enough to spin it around.

First you have to relevel and test anyway.
Second any older lathe will need new oiling felts. Most get hard over time, so it's a good time to make it right. There's a nice kit on ebay.
You will get to know the lathe better by taking it apart and putting it back together. That part is not hard.

Back