New owner

Back in 1985 I bought a 9c with the 36" bed. It was mounted on a sheet of plywood with countershaft and motor. The seller and I picked it up and placed it in the trunk of my car.(1977 Nova)
I had to take it apart to get it into the garage by myself, but it needed to be cleaned anyway.

Getting your's up the stairs will be a good workout, but should be doable with two people. Standing the bed on end will help with getting it around the corner.

I think i have an idea for how i may do it im gonna talk to my old man tonight and see wat he wants to do or see what he came up with

Would it be possible to stand it on end on a platform with braces to get it small enough to fit in the stairway L? Obviously the carriage should be against the head stock with some cushion material between the components. The tailstock could be removed for the move. It would not have to be turned if the platform is small enough. There is probably an oil reservoir in the carriage that should be drained before tilting. If you build a "verticle skid box" it should be hell for stout, using 4"X4"s and c-d plywood. Plenty of lag-screws and wood screws as well. In any case you may need some blocks of wood to place on the stair-way in the event you need to reorganize the move .Good luck and be safe
Ray.

You could strap it to a hand truck , should be easy to do . Rent a stair runner type with the rollers it works well.

It's heavier than you think. 350 is about right. Whatever you can do to lower the weight, I recommend you do. You won't regret it. But you might regret trying to do the whole thing at once. The head is self aligning due to the V type ways, and so is the carriage. So there's no reason to worry.

We are now moving it to a different garage so no stairs. There is the issue of needing to get a protective spray since the garage isnt heated when not in use.

Make sure the stairs and floor can hold the weight....

Back