New PM 1236 on its way!

rdfoster

Active User
Registered
The PM 1236 I ordered the end of Feb is on its way. Supposed to be 3 business days away. Should be here Tuesday. Any help or advise will be appreciated.

Bob

Hi...

I know you're aware of this but, for the benefit of others, a good starting point is post #13 of this thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/14005-PM-1236-FAQ-(Frequently-Asked-Questions)

There's a reasonable starting-point of a user manual there. As you set up your new machine, keep us informed if there's more information that should be added.

Ray

The PM 1236 I ordered the end of Feb is on its way. Supposed to be 3 business days away. Should be here Tuesday. Any help or advise will be appreciated.

Bob

I've got mine scheduled to arrive the first week of May. could have been sooner, but we realized that unless I waited til then, I'd be the only one to try and move it across a yard, up a porch and down to the basement. Yeah I guess I should wait for reinforcements... lol

Ironically, the things that I'd most like to work on are more tools! If I had a mill I'd really be going to town making things so that I can make things. My wife doesn't understand really...:nuts:

I've got mine scheduled to arrive the first week of May. could have been sooner, but we realized that unless I waited til then, I'd be the only one to try and move it across a yard, up a porch and down to the basement. Yeah I guess I should wait for reinforcements... lol

Ironically, the things that I'd most like to work on are more tools! If I had a mill I'd really be going to town making things so that I can make things. My wife doesn't understand really...:nuts:

Does any wife really understand? I hope I have better luck with the delivery than when Saia brought my 1000 lb planer. They left it at the end of the drive in the rain for my wife and I to drag it 75 ft to the shop. we're both in our 70s but we got it done. Saia also tore up my drive which after many complaints they paid me $200.00 to fix it.
I also like to make more tools.

Bob

I've said this before and will say it again... A TV show the equivalent of QVC or HSN but for shop equipment and tools is looong overdue... It's probably the only way to relate our tool-desires to the ladies.

Bob

Very cool! I've had mind for about 4 months now and having a great time with it.

You can check out my thread about it HERE.

There are a lot of things I did to it to make it "mine". Things I like.

I don't know it yours has a DRO but mine does. There are pictures there of how I lifted it if you are interested.

The way I like to lift it is to make it tail heavy and then use a ratcheting strap from the main lifting point to the tail end. This allows you to adjust the level real easy.

Post some pics when you get it.

Gary

Does any wife really understand? I hope I have better luck with the delivery than when Saia brought my 1000 lb planer. They left it at the end of the drive in the rain for my wife and I to drag it 75 ft to the shop. we're both in our 70s but we got it done. Saia also tore up my drive which after many complaints they paid me $200.00 to fix it.
I also like to make more tools.

Bob
Oh thanks, that's all I needed to hear. My driveway is 120' long, gravel, and over-due to be replaced ie. lots of pot holes. It's going to be interesting no matter how you look at it though. We're planning on adding a garage/kennel/workshop but that will be a ways off dang it. Hey! that means I'll get to move the lathe again! Cool! :banghead:

Gary, yes mine is coming with DRO installed. I don't know how to use a lathe with DRO but I'm sure there are many on this forum who do. I hope they will teach me the advantages of using one.

Bob

Bob
Not on Tuesday. Terminal called this morning and they only have one truck with liftgate and it won't be available till Thursday. Darn!! I was so looking forward to it coming tomorrow.
Bob:nono:

That sucks, huh?

As far as the DRO goes, you can basically ignore the dials and just look at the DRO. The only time I find if faster to use the dial
is when threading. I always set my dial to "zero" in the crossfeed to return to zero after making a pass. It's a lot faster
using the dial for this.

Gary

Not on Tuesday. Terminal called this morning and they only have one truck with liftgate and it won't be available till Thursday. Darn!! I was so looking forward to it coming tomorrow.
Bob:nono:

Back