New PM 1236 on its way!

Nothing wrong in that cut. The part is supported at both ends. Tools is not sticking out too far and the feed must be just right.

On the very first cut that you weren't happy with, was it a virgin piece of steel possibly with some scale on it? Even if it didn't have scale, steel that's been exposed for a long time will get a "skin" on it. Metal is a lot more porous than you might think and chemical reactions take place at the outer layer immediately upon manufacture and continues for years. Anyhow, once you nibble that layer off, you get to the nice juicy center...

Looks nice. Good cut.

Ray

I think you hit the nail on the head Ray. It had been galvanized. I saw it in my neighbors salvage yard while I was talking to him and asked if I could have it. He suggested another piece that wasn't galvanized but I wanted to try it so I took this one. By the way he says I can have anything I want just for keeping an eye on the place for him.
There sure is a lot of stuff to learn about this stuff.
By the way I was using a 1/2" HF carbide bit that I reground. Turning at 330 RPM .015th deep at .006 per RPM. Picture was taken while turning.

Thanks for your comments:

Bob :))

I get a lot mileage out of those HF carbide bits. I saw it in your toolpost. You can't mistake that color.

330 RPM is a bit slow for a shaft that diameter -but if you get finishes like that, who am I to say.

You want to watch-out when machining galvanized materials. -Especially welding or anything that heats it up enough to smoke or cook off. It's loaded with zinc which can get airborn and put you in the hospital with severe lung inflammation, dizzines and vomiting etc... This is a commonly known issue -and now you know it too. Even though zinc is a dietary element, it's problematic in high concentrations. One good snort is way more than your body knows what to do with.

In general, be careful working on anything that's painted or has any kind of coating on it.

Ray

Good point there Ray, I was 14 and playing around with my grandfathers old welder that I found in his barn from the 40's or 50's with carbon arc torches. And I found some water pipe and decided to play around with it. I just remember I had a heck of a sore throat for about 2-3 days. Never had a problem machining it, but that could also happen I'm sure.
I used to work in a place where I deburred these aluminum parts that looked like egg trays with a very small hand held belt sander. And always had a runny nose and sore throat after doing it. And sandblasting without ear plugs or a respirator. And painting too.

So just be sure to be careful, but looks great!

Back