New PM-1340GT Arrived

Outstanding :encourage:

I just noticed your FogBuster. I recently put mine on, and am glad I did. Works great.

That's good to hear Bill. I have not run it yet, just tested the air so far.

So after several months being distracted by other things, I finally made a few chips on my new PM1340GT. Boy do I have a lot to learn!!
I leveled the lathe and got the twist out of the bed, so that looks good. I made a few cuts on a test bar to check for head stock mis-alignment and found it to be off by about .0035 over 12 inches. I'm going to leave that alone and let the lathe settle in for awhile and then I will re-level and check it again. I'll do any adjustment at that point. My first project will be a pair of small chuck keys for my Bison 4-jaw combination chuck. Then I need to make a spider. I have a few more things to clean up on the lathe and I will probably change out all the fluids and make sure everything is lubed properly before I do any more cutting.

There is so much to learn, particularly about tooling and speeds and feeds so I will be reading everything I can find and watching endless U-Tube videos. So far, so good.

So after several months being distracted by other things, I finally made a few chips on my new PM1340GT. Boy do I have a lot to learn!!
I leveled the lathe and got the twist out of the bed, so that looks good. I made a few cuts on a test bar to check for head stock mis-alignment and found it to be off by about .0035 over 12 inches. I'm going to leave that alone and let the lathe settle in for awhile and then I will re-level and check it again. I'll do any adjustment at that point. My first project will be a pair of small chuck keys for my Bison 4-jaw combination chuck. Then I need to make a spider. I have a few more things to clean up on the lathe and I will probably change out all the fluids and make sure everything is lubed properly before I do any more cutting.

There is so much to learn, particularly about tooling and speeds and feeds so I will be reading everything I can find and watching endless U-Tube videos. So far, so good.

I have been on the same learning curve on my PM935 Mill, the PM1340GT is next.

Plexi and ABS plastic, although messy are a lot more forgiving to learn on, it's saved me a few times getting used to the controls and no harm done when I've wound the table the wrong way.

Aluminum is also good to learn on and not too expensive to get experience.

Cheers,

David.

More progress. I have completed cleaning up the machine. I drained the headstock oil and looked into the gearbox. I was surprised at how little metal filings were in there. I replaced the fluid with Mobil DTE 24. I also drained the apron and refilled it with Mobil Vacuoline 1409, oiled the quick change gears, hit all the oil points and lubed the back gears.

After that I ran it for about 10 minutes at each speed.

Now to try to learn how to use it!!

Back