New PM 1340GT Lathe & PM 833T Mill

If you move you cross slide in 0.001, it would take a cut off a diameter of 0.002. That is why it reads like it does. The DRO takes everything out but remember when you move 0.001 on the DRO you are cutting on one side of a rotating diameter.

The DRO takes everything out but remember when you move 0.001 on the DRO you are cutting on one side of a rotating diameter.

That really depends on how the DRO is set up. I would assume it is already set in "Diameter mode", but you should check with a indicator.

That really depends on how the DRO is set up. I would assume it is already set in "Diameter mode", but you should check with a indicator.

On my EL400 DRO, when I crank in a cut of 0.0005" that's off the diameter. Keeps things simple for me. :)

Greetings all! I am new to the forum. I am a hobbyist. I've been dabbling in the world of machining on and off for about 35 years. I mainly design and make tools and gadgets for personal use.

About 9 years I took my first of many blacksmithing classes. I enjoy smithing as a hobby as well.

As the title of the thread indicates I purchased two machines from Precision Matthews. It has taken about a week to get everything set up and running. The staff at PM are quick to answer questions and concerns.

My only issue with the lathe is the cross feed dial is graduated in 2 thousands increments. I assumed it would be in thousands. The DRO compensates for this draw back. I may have overlooked it, but I did not find this mentioned in their description of the machine.

My only problem with the mill was that my interstate collets would not fit. The staff at PM came up with several solutions that didn't work. They said I could send the spindle and they would check it out. Needless to say I had no desire to dismantle the machine!

I felt the problem was that the upper end of the R8 cavity was under sized by 1 - 2 thousands. So, I increased the ID of the upper end of the spindle's R8 cavity 1 - 2 thousands. That fixed the problem. Here is a link to a video showing the fix:

Over all I think they will be great machines. I'm planning my first project.

View attachment 302489
I like your sheet metal "V" for not dropping the set screw. Great idea I'm going to start using.

Bruce

Thanks for your input. First gear, you are correct. I didn't take into account I was increasing the radius.

I couldn't find specs on the upper part of the R8 spindle bore. I don't think the part I bored out has any affect on stability or runoff. I think the R8 taper and drawbar are the critical parts of the R8 spindle socket.

Back