New PM-25MV Mill

Thank you! Currently the stock 1 HP BLDC motor

I'm impressed! You can certainly hear it bog down at the start of the cut, but it really moves some material. I'm excited to see how your ATC turns out! We might have to exchange notes!

I'm impressed! You can certainly hear it bog down at the start of the cut, but it really moves some material. I'm excited to see how your ATC turns out! We might have to exchange notes!
I appreciate that! The spindle motor does seem very slow to react when a load is applied, and I noticed that even before it was CNCd. Taking manual cuts with the motor pulleyed in its stock configuration, it would still take a second to ramp up the torque. I am hoping that the new motor solves those problems. I know that the currently spindle isn't straining with those light cuts though. Most of them were under .25 WOC, .05 DOC, and 35 IPM which is only .4375 in^3/min. It managed 1.25" WOC, .05" DOC, at 52 IPM which is 3.1875 in^3/min which is 7x the cut. After that the belt slipped, but the motor was still pushing.

Hopefully I can get the ATC up and running soon! Besides the tool fingers (3 parts for each of the 10 fingers...) I only have 6 more parts to make. We should exchange notes for sure. I will have a few questions about the programming, since I think you mentioned you already did that part.

I will have a few questions about the programming, since I think you mentioned you already did that part.

I think the motor bogging down has more to do with the control electronics than the motor horsepower. It takes the slow control loops in the stock motor electronics a bit of time to "catch up" when a load is applied. Not sure there is much to be done about that.

The software to control the ATC isn't too bad. Are you running Mach 3?

I think the motor bogging down has more to do with the control electronics than the motor horsepower. It takes the slow control loops in the stock motor electronics a bit of time to "catch up" when a load is applied. Not sure there is much to be done about that.

The software to control the ATC isn't too bad. Are you running Mach 3?
I agree completely. The new spindle motor is a servo, so in theory it should catch up faster.

I am using linuxcnc.

I am using linuxcnc.

I did my ATC with Mach, so the configuration won't match, but the concepts should be the same. I wish there was a well documented, feature filled, and stable machine control software for us hobbyists.

Man! The last few post here i had to read twice each...thought I was reading typo's, come to find out I'm just stupid on this subject. That video, I could watch that for a very long time....mesmerizing...
Well, I will definitely be hitting you up for some help when the time comes, great work there brother!

I recorded the machine making a few cuts. Most of them are pretty light, but it should give you an idea how it is running.

Just watched your video. Good looking stuff you got going on there. Who's cutter is that 5/8 2 insert endmill?

Have you tried turning up your non engaged speed when running an adaptive tool path? It almost looks like you're cutting faster than the linking moves.

PZ

Just watched your video. Good looking stuff you got going on there. Who's cutter is that 5/8 2 insert endmill?

Have you tried turning up your non engaged speed when running an adaptive tool path? It almost looks like you're cutting faster than the linking moves.

PZ
I usually bump it up to 80-100, but it looks like for that one, I left it at 35, the same as the cutting feed rate. I agree though, it does look like it is cutting faster.

The end mill is made by Zenit and uses ACMT inserts. I think I have ACGT inserts in it at the moment. I got a deal on ebay for a .375" single flute, a .5" single flute, a .625" 2 flute, and a .75" 3 flute, plus 40ish inserts for it for $50.

I got around to working up a mist coolant system out of an older RO filter I had around from fish tanks. I only needed a few extra parts to get it going. That included 1 connector, a block to mount everything to, 2 pressure regulators, a solenoid valve, a needle valve, and a locline kit from ebay.

It works the same as any other fogless mister where there is pressure on the air line and the coolant line, then they come together in a block with a needle valve on the coolant line. I adjust the pressure on the two independently, then adjust the needle valve until I get a decent amount of coolant in the stream without fog. The machine will control the coolant using the solenoid valve, and the locline will let me redirect it anywhere I want.

The coolant tank is one of the filter bodies and I put a piece of copper pipe on the output line with an aluminum adapter. This way, the input puts pressure on the air on top, which forces the coolant down, through the copper pipe, and out to the machine.

I haen't had a chance to test it on the machine, but off the machine and using water, I was able to get good coolant flow with very little sputtering and very little fog.

Here are all the extra parts I had from taking apart the RO filter along with the 2 pressure regulators.
4rt0SKP.jpg

Here is the adaptor that fits the copper pipe into the filter body.
FFsLj4Z.jpg

Here it was with the copper pipe forced through it.
XLNtvC6.jpg

Then I made this little block out of aluminum and that connector you see on top for the air line. This screws into an existing hole whos original function I have yet to determine...
1g8ZFy1.jpg

At the very least, this means I will not need to sit there with the air gun spraying out at is interpolates holes. Hopefully, with coolant it will be able to run reliably without me keeping an eye on it.

Back