New Pm-25mv

JayMcClellan

Registered
Registered
Hello I'm new to this forum and just recently got my first milling machine, a PM-25MV. So far I'm liking the machine a lot, don't have any experience with others for comparison but it seems to be stable and have plenty of power for my purposes. The column needed minor tramming but everything else was dead-on right from the crate, at least to within my ability to measure it. Rather than get the small stand for it, I'm using a (formerly) rolling tool cart supported on a solid base with leveling feet. I made a temporary enclosure with pegboard and plastic film to contain the chips, which I plan to replace with something more permanent - but "temporary" setups in my shop sometimes last longer than planned so it might stay like this for a while.

PM-25MV.jpg

As a learning project, my nephew and I are each making a matched pair of toolmaker's vises following Tubalcain's YouTube videos. So far they're coming out well.

Welcome! Glad to hear you are enjoying your PM-25. Sounds like an awesome way to spend time with your nephew.

Welcome Jay, you can't go wrong with QMT.

You've got a good start. I bought my PM25 about a year and a half ago. It's been all I expected. I've made some mods, put in an electric head lift and an X power feed, but its still the same machine, just more friendly. I grew up in a Tool Room, no one worried about chips, so I've got them everywhere, but your solution looks good. I also applaud your choice of projects, small precision vises are a welcome addition to any shop. I have one I made in 1976 that is a third hand often.

Reactions: Guv
Jay where did you buy the gooseneck light? Or did it come with the mill? Looks cool, like a showerhead.
Mark S.

It looks like you are off to a good start. I know you didn't ask, but I only have one small bit of advice. For 99% of your milling needs, you won't need the swivel base on the vise. I would just mount the vise to the table and only install the swivel base when you need it. This will increase your rigidity in your set up, which means a lot with our hobby sized machines. I do like your neat work area! Welcome to the club!

It looks like you are off to a good start. I know you didn't ask, but I only have one small bit of advice. For 99% of your milling needs, you won't need the swivel base on the vise. I would just mount the vise to the table and only install the swivel base when you need it. This will increase your rigidity in your set up, which means a lot with our hobby sized machines. I do like your neat work area! Welcome to the club!
Thanks, I already removed the swivel base. I also milled off the 3/4" flange on the back of the vise that was hitting the vertical way cover, as its only apparent function in my setup was to reduce the usable Y travel by 3/4". That's an advantage of an inexpensive vise like this - I'd hate to start cutting up a $500 vise but I have no qualms modifying this China Special.

Good deal! I like your style!

You've got a good start. I bought my PM25 about a year and a half ago. It's been all I expected. I've made some mods, put in an electric head lift and an X power feed, but its still the same machine, just more friendly. I grew up in a Tool Room, no one worried about chips, so I've got them everywhere, but your solution looks good. I also applaud your choice of projects, small precision vises are a welcome addition to any shop. I have one I made in 1976 that is a third hand often.
I called Precision Mathews today to buy a PM25MV. Talked with Greg. He said they did not have a X Powerfeed for that machine. I did not buy it. Where did you get your X Powerfeed for this machine? Thank you. -Bill

Back