New Pm 727m Mill

Thinking about getting this mill also. Are you happy with it over getting the PM-25MV? Any progress to share yet?

David

Hi all, new to forum and just stumbled across this machine. Appears to be just what I'm looking for. Any more feedback you are able to share? Really close to pulling the trigger.

Hi Mike! Welcome to the forum. I haven't milled a "ton" of chips out with it yet. But, I am still thoroughly impressed. The size is the main thing that I really like. It fills the gap between the X3 / G0704 style machines, and the larger ZX45/ PM 932 size machines. I have been impressed with the heavy cuts I have been able to make. It really speeds up my working time as compared to my little X2. The smoothness and finish of the table is what has impressed me the most. I did end up cleaning out the thrust bearings and going with grease instead of daily oiling and it has become even more smooth to operate. I was worried at first about being limited to only 6 spindle speeds since my X2 was variable speed. That hasn't been an issue at all. You just may have to feed a little faster or slower.

I have already realized an easy mod that I am going to complete in the very near future to increase travel in the x axis. The only thing that stops the table travel and keeps it at the listed 15" is the very corners of the brackets that hold the handwheels / thrust bearings. I plan to remove them and shave off the very lower corners, allowing the table to move an additional 1.5" in each direction. Then there will be a hard stop of the handwheel bracket meeting the web of the saddle. That should give me 18" of X.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. You will love this machine. The surface finish I am getting has been fantastic. I have my igaging scales installed so backlash is not an issue for me. Really an impressive machine for the money.

Hi all, new to forum and just stumbled across this machine. Appears to be just what I'm looking for. Any more feedback you are able to share? Really close to pulling the trigger.
EDIT: Wow I type really slow, and thanks for that report 3D, my interest is peaking!
I also have been watching for more reports on this 727, which I think, like you, would be a perfect size for my needs. My only concern is the fact that there doesn't seem to be much interest in them. Or, if they are selling, no one is posting about them. I've gone to other forums and haven't seen anything. I'm not saying the lack of talk is because its not a good mill, in fact, 3dshooter80 (the OP) seems very happy with his, although, he hasn't posted in a while. My concern is that, if they don't sell, PM might discontinue it, and then, future parts and support could be hard to find. Anyone got any thoughts on that? Maybe Matt from PM will see this and respond. I would love to hear his thoughts on this. Come on guys, this is a perfect size for a hobby machinist. I've looked at a bunch of Bridgeports and clones, but they are just way bigger, and heavier than I would ever use. Good luck with your decision, Mike, and PLEASE, keep us informed. JR49

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect this to be discontinued any time soon. Grizzly is selling the comparable model also, both of which I believe just became available this year. When I ordered mind from Matt, I asked him about other peoples feedback and he stated that he had 15 or so out in the field and hadn't had any issues. I don't have any idea how many Grizzly has sold, but I think at the price point, it can't be beat. I was leaning hard towards a PM-25 but the extra 200# of cast iron is what sold me. These two machines have basically the same table, with the 727 having a beefier saddle which is the reason for the shorter X travel. (but like I said, I am going to mod that a bit).

There are only two things that I didn't like / expect with my machine. The first was how much I had to shim the column on mine. I ended up at approx 1/8" of shim thickness on one side. The other is that when I moved the table all the way to the left, there was a good bit of binding in the handwheel. What I discovered is that when they drilled the holes in the table for the handwheel bracket assembly, they were off center a bit and this caused binding of the leadscrew when fully to the left. I removed the hand wheel bracket, tapped out the pins used to hold the bracket in place, and then reattached the bracket with the cap head screws so that it was as square and aligned as possible. Then I took a slightly large drill bit and drilled through the pin holes in the bracket and table and tapped those holes for 3/8-16. Then I just put in (2) new stainless cap screws to plug the holes. I don't think the screws would be needed to counteract the forces of the handwheel during milling, I just wanted the holes plugged.

I am still very happy with my purchase and would buy it again.

The 727 is pretty much a brand new offering, so I wouldn't expect many owners yet. Matt used to sell the PM-30, which I own. It is of the similar size of the 727M. He had to discontinue it because the supplier's increased costs put it too close to a PM-932.

I would say if you want larger than a G0704 and can't afford or fit a 932/940 or even a 935 that this is the next best option.

Matt used to sell the PM-30, which I own. It is of the similar size of the 727M. He had to discontinue it because the supplier's increased costs put it too close to a PM-932.
Compsurge, How long has it been since he discontinued the PM-30 ? I assume you had a 3 year warranty, but when that has expired, will Matt still supply any needed replacement parts ? If not, where will you get parts or support ? Thanks, JR49

I have also been watching this thread and thinking about getting one of these after looking at the pm25-mv for awhile. It quotes a large cross travel for a small machine. I was comparing it to the Grizzly G0759 in which it excells in almost all categories but especially the travel. Would like to get one in the next month cash permitting.

I got mine a few years ago. I haven't had any issue with mine other than a blown fuse (stalled the motor). Parts are still available for the PM-30MV-L (WMD30LV) since the mill is still in production. Matt doesn't make the machines, he buys them to his spec and has them painted and labeled with his brand. Weiss did the process control on his PM-30 machines, but I don't know what Chinese manufacturer actually made the machine.

The only thing I would say about the 727M is that the stand is likely just passable. I have a similar stand, but I am replacing it with a welded steel tubing base. I find it isn't very rigid under bigger cuts. I can't complain though since it works well enough to get started.

Last edited:
Hey guys, nothing to worry about on parts. And yes the 727 is newer, we only have about 35 or so of them out there now, but we will carry them. They will start to show on online forums. Although we have a ton of the PM-1030V out there, and I can not find many users on forums on those at all.

I still have parts for the 30MV Mills too, but we changed the 25MV to brushless and belt drive, and to build a machine like the 30 in that size would have made the price around $2200. Add a table power feed to it, you are at $2500.00 And at that price, there is the 932M which is a much much heavier machine. So thats the only reason for that. We would have had to commit to 1000 of them to do it, so I held off on that.

I am trying not to have too many models to simplify things, but I really like that 727M with the longer Y Axis travel. Its a nice step up if you need something a little more than the 25, but do not want to deal with the 1100 pound 932M.

Back