New Pm 727m Mill

lpeedin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anybody else taken a look at the website lately and seen this new mill? It appears to be a RF45 style variant with a slightly smaller table. 15" of x travel, 8.25" of Y travel, 16" of Z travel, with 18" spindle to table!! And, it is a 110 volt machine. Looks very appealing for $1,800. I have been wanting a PM25MV for a while as it is great reviews, lots of travel, and a good sized table. Now, I am very torn between the two offerings. I think the 727 would do a better job with hogging and heavy cuts. What is a guy to do....

I notice that as well.

It's bigger than the PM25, but still a lot lighter than the pm45/932 475 lbs vs 1100 lbs.

I Think it would be better than the pm25 in all respects except for the 25 being variable speed.

My first thought was 'PM25 on steroids'.

Last edited:
Well, I am going to try one of the new 727's. I will report back ASAP! The mill is in stock, which is always a plus. This looks to be a fantastic hobby mill and should fit my needs very well. Now the questions is whether to rebuild my existing bench to insure it will handle the extra weight, which will allow me to put it in the same place as my little X2, or to leave it free-standing on the factory base???

As Bill mentioned, PM25 on steroids (like that). Would go with the stock base since it comes with the mill, and has a nice catch basin. Nice balance of size/features for its size and runs off of 120V, which is a plus if you do not have a 240V circuit.

I too, have been looking at this PM 727m. Never owned, or even used a mill before, so the only info I have is what I've read in the forum. Square column, a big plus, 18" spindle to table big plus. I think the table size, and "work envelope" (just learned that term here) will suite my current and future needs, and the size will fit my space nicely. The things that I have no knowledge about, and would appreciate advise on, is about it being a geared head with 6 speeds from 115 to 1700 rpm. It says gears are "hardened and ground steel gears", so that sounds like a plus, but will only 6 speeds and max speed of 1700 limit this mill? Thanks for any advise on this, JR49

My PM25 came with a similar stand and for me it was too low to the ground, too narrow, and that little chip basin isn't really wide enough to catch much (it does, just not as much as I'd like).

But that was my experience. Yours could vary. :)

I too, have been looking at this PM 727m. Never owned, or even used a mill before, so the only info I have is what I've read in the forum. Square column, a big plus, 18" spindle to table big plus. I think the table size, and "work envelope" (just learned that term here) will suite my current and future needs, and the size will fit my space nicely. The things that I have no knowledge about, and would appreciate advise on, is about it being a geared head with 6 speeds from 115 to 1700 rpm. It says gears are "hardened and ground steel gears", so that sounds like a plus, but will only 6 speeds and max speed of 1700 limit this mill? Thanks for any advise on this, JR49

Some of us have gotten spoiled by having variable speed (I gutted El Hefe and put a variable speed/belt drive on him as well), but is it necessary? No. And the upper rpm limit should do fine for most applications I would think. Just my opinion. :)

Bill,

Everything that I have read says that the factory stand will be too low. Even if I use it, I will need to look into raising it up a bit. That is why I am leaning towards overhauling my current bench. I am sure I will slide the chip pan underneath it as I have future plans to add flood coolant.

The speeds are likely plenty for manual operations. Higher speeds start to require faster feed rates and more efficient coolant and chip clearing. If you can go for the larger PM-932/940 mill, definitely consider it as well. Definitely examine the actual work envelope travels of the machine versus what you intend to use it for.

Back