New PM-728V-T Mill

I see you are a lot more motivated on the conversion than I am. I too recently purchased a PM-728vt with plans of converting it to CNC. I think I’m also hesitant to start the tear down from lack of experience since this would be my first conversion. Also knowing I’ll have to disassemble it multiple times in order to machine the parts.

Good luck with your build. I will definitely be following it. Curious to see What the differences are between the the 728 vs the 727 and when someone will be coming out with a kit. I think I’m going to wait for someone to offer a full conversion kit.( the mechanical components, going with a G540 controller and mach3 since I already have them from a Sherline I had) I’m fearful of purchasing the wrong parts and wasting money on something I won’t be able to use.

Looking good, Always enjoy seeing tear down photos. Gives a better look at the machine vs a stock image. Are you planning on making your own cnc conversion parts or running the Precision Mathews kit? https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-728v-t-cncballscrewkit/ apparently last I emailed the 728V-T cnc kit is made by the same factory making the mills. I am looking forward to getting more details when the kits come in. Particularly ballscrew details (class, size, pitch ) , double / single ball nut ect. Will be nice to have a factory offering. Though David's kit on my last pm25 was top notch as well, are you going to be doing kits for the PM728V-T as well @arizonavideo ?

I see you are a lot more motivated on the conversion than I am. I too recently purchased a PM-728vt with plans of converting it to CNC. I think I’m also hesitant to start the tear down from lack of experience since this would be my first conversion. Also knowing I’ll have to disassemble it multiple times in order to machine the parts.

Good luck with your build. I will definitely be following it. Curious to see What the differences are between the the 728 vs the 727 and when someone will be coming out with a kit. I think I’m going to wait for someone to offer a full conversion kit.( the mechanical components, going with a G540 controller and mach3 since I already have them from a Sherline I had) I’m fearful of purchasing the wrong parts and wasting money on something I won’t be able to use.

I did feel a little bad about tearing such a nice machine down without even using it but need to keep going forward.
Will be interesting to see what Franco comes up with on his.

Looking good, Always enjoy seeing tear down photos. Gives a better look at the machine vs a stock image. Are you planning on making your own cnc conversion parts or running the Precision Mathews kit? https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-728v-t-cncballscrewkit/ apparently last I emailed the 728V-T cnc kit is made by the same factory making the mills. I am looking forward to getting more details when the kits come in. Particularly ballscrew details (class, size, pitch ) , double / single ball nut ect. Will be nice to have a factory offering. Though David's kit on my last pm25 was top notch as well, are you going to be doing kits for the PM728V-T as well @arizonavideo ?
I didn’t know they were offering a kit. Too bad it’s not available right now. Does any one know of one available already?

Thinking of DIY for now. Matt has it listed at end of July and I don't want to wait. I follow Sam (CNC4XR7) and Franco, thinking I'll do a little of both.
Plan on 2005 C7 and double ballnuts from linearmotionbearings2008. Might do the FK mounts as Franco did on his PM-25. This is what I'm thinking with different lengths. https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Y-Z-ball...474563?hash=item3b3b54a943:g:rwsAAOSwRY1dsO6y working on lengths now to send to Chai for a quote.

Plan on doing nema-23 on X , Y and nema 34 for Z. That is what Matts kit will be so if my DIY not good they will work on it. Have not pulled the trigger on closed loop steppers (Franco) or Clearpath $$. My guess is David would not do one if Matt is importing one around same price point.

I looked for other kits, the one vendor I contacted said they weren't going to do one because Matt had told them he would have one. If anyone is aware of other kits I'd like to see more about them. If anyone does a DIY hopefully they will share some of their experience somewhere.

Thinking of DIY for now. Matt has it listed at end of July and I don't want to wait. I follow Sam (CNC4XR7) and Franco, thinking I'll do a little of both.
Plan on 2005 C7 and double ballnuts from linearmotionbearings2008. Might do the FK mounts as Franco did on his PM-25. This is what I'm thinking with different lengths. https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Y-Z-ball...474563?hash=item3b3b54a943:g:rwsAAOSwRY1dsO6y working on lengths now to send to Chai for a quote.

Plan on doing nema-23 on X , Y and nema 34 for Z. That is what Matts kit will be so if my DIY not good they will work on it. Have not pulled the trigger on closed loop steppers (Franco) or Clearpath $$. My guess is David would not do one if Matt is importing one around same price point.
I should have read this beforehand. Just ordered PM’s kit assuming I could use the nema 34’s I already have. :( hope fully I can make some kind of adapters to hold them.

Everytime I see photos of these bench mills I am amazed at their size. The castings are sure to add dampening and rigidity and the work they put into the sliding surfaces is sure to add accuracy.

Back