NEW PM-833T IN THE SHOP

Rimspoke one stat I have never seen anywhere is the swing for the 833t. Very Decent travels and better
than a bridgeport spindle to table distance. I keep coming back to this machine for the quality.

BY SWING , I ASSUME YOU MEAN THE DISTANCE FROM THE COLUMN TO THE SPINDLE .
UNLIKE A BRIDGEPORT , THIS IS FIXED AND MEASURES 11 1/2"

ANOTHER FEATURE I WISH THEY HAD ON THE PM-833T IS A SPINDLE LOCK .
I HAVE GOTTEN QUITE GOOD AT POPPING IT INTO LOW GEAR SO I CAN GET THE DRAWBAR LOOSE
BUT I DO MISS THE BRAKE LEVER THEY HAVE ON MOST KNEE MILLS .

I GOT THE 833 BECAUSE IT WAS THE MOST MILL THAT I COULD FIT INTO THE AVAILABLE SPACE .
IT HAS BEEN A GOOD PURCHASE AND DONE EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE ASKED OF IT .

Thanks again! Space is a concern!

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I received mine last December or January...
I finally got around moving it in the basement, but I had to build the small shop first (10'X13') and a very sturdy welded base for it.
We took it down in 3 chunks, head, pilar and base/table.
It's a heavy mother!! :)
Now I have the DRO installed and I used it untramed to drill holes to make aluminium brackets.

When I ordered it I ordered a 5 inches vise and the precision 0/.5 inches R8 drill chuck. What a beauty this thing!
Then Matt was out of the vise so he put in a nice Homge precision vise instead... at the same price!
It's always a pleasure for me to deal with him!

So next step is to put it level and tram it, but what a different machine compared to my PM-25!!

After that I am moving my lathe (PM1127) that I will modify with a 3 phases VFD motor.
I am not realy sure at this point what I will do with the PM-25 (with 2 axis DRO)

The first real project will be a cartesian robot for router carving, laser printing and a head for engraving lettering (electronic front panel)

For a while after buying my Charter Oak 9x40 I kept my PM25 and soon appreciated having two machines. I had a part set up in the 9x40 and needed to mill and drill a piece real quick. PM25 to the rescue.

I even used the PM25 to mill the saddle of the 9x40 when I decided to put a one-shot oiling system on it.

Had that little 833 been available back when I bought the 9x40, I would have bought it instead as it would have been perfect for pistol work and the small projects I do. :)

Is there a way to make a spindle lock for your mill?

Have fun with that thing.

I noticed you have your PM-833T on some cabinet with drawers. I think that is a great idea, but would like to know what cabinet you are using that you are confident will take the weight of this heavy machine. Has that worked out for you? All of those drawers would be so much more useful than the standard bases they sell that just have a door.

I noticed you have your PM-833T on some cabinet with drawers. I think that is a great idea, but would like to know what cabinet you are using that you are confident will take the weight of this heavy machine. Has that worked out for you? All of those drawers would be so much more useful than the standard bases they sell that just have a door.

MOUNTING THE MILL ON A CABINET HAS BEEN A GREAT SPACE SAVER BUT IT ALSO ADDs 5" OF HEIGHT TO THE MILL .
I AM 6'2" SO THIS MAKES THE MACHINE MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE FOR ME TO OPERATE .

THE CABINET I USE IS A VIDMAR 33"H 22.5"W 27.5"D .
THEY ARE BUILT LIKE A TRUCK , HAVE VERY DEEP ( FRONT TO BACK ) DRAWERS WITH
BALL BEARING SLIDES SO THEY MOVE EASILY EVEN WITH HEAVY OBJECTS IN THEM .

THE TRICK TO MAKE IT SAFELY HOLD UP A 1000 POUND MILL IS TO PLACE A 3/8" THICK ALUMINUM SHEET
UNDER THE MILL TO SPREAD THE LOAD OUT EVENLY OVER THE ENTIRE CABINET SURFACE .
I ALSO HAVE A PM FACTORY CHIP TRAY UNDER THE MILL .

LISTA CABINETS WOULD BE ANOTHER GOOD BRAND TO LOOK FOR .

Thanks. That certainly sounds like it would hold it, though those cabinets are a bit too pricy for me. I'll keep an eye out for one used in the area (they are apparently super heavy).

Back