NEW PM-833T IN THE SHOP

RIMSPOKE

Registered
Registered
I GOT MY NEW PM-833T TODAY . THIS MILL IS PRECISION MATTHEWS BEST KEPT SECRET .
IT IS A LOT MORE MILL THAN MY PM-727M WAS !

IT OCCUPIES THE SAME SPACE THAT THE 727 DID BUT SINCE IT WEIGHS TWICE AS MUCH ,
I PLACED IT ON A 3/8" ALUMINUM PLATE TO SPREAD THE WEIGHT AROUND .

IT LANDED WITH A SOLID THUD THAT SAYS TO ME THAT THE VIDMAR IS UP TO THE JOB .
IN FACT , THE FACTORY STAND IS NOT AS HEAVY AS I EXPECTED . THE VID IS 4" HIGHER .

THE CHIP TRAY IS PART OF THE STAND . MATT SAYS THEY WILL HAVE SEPARATE CHIP TRAYS AVAILABLE WHEN THEY GET IN THE NEXT ROUNDS OF PM-833T MILLS .

I STILL HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO LIKE WIRE AN OUTLET FOR 220v AND INSTALL A 3 AXIS DRO .
THIS IS THE MOST MILL I CAN FIT IN MY SHOP AND SO FAR , I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER WITH IT .

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE 727 FOR COMPARISON .

DSC_0474.JPG

DSC_0475.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

When I got my first glimpse of that mill on Ebay, I was like wow! If I was limited on space and couldn't handle a knee mill that guy would be on the top of my list. :)

I'd like to hear about your impressions of it once you get it up and running.

And more pics of course. :D

When I got my first glimpse of that mill on Ebay, I was like wow! If I was limited on space and couldn't handle a knee mill that guy would be on the top of my list. :)

I'd like to hear about your impressions of it once you get it up and running.

And more pics of course. :D

Ya what he said! Nice mill.

ON THE 833 , THE LEVERS ARE METAL AND DO NOT INTERFERE WITH ANY PARTS ON THE MACHINE I'd like to hear about your impressions of it once you get it up and running.

SOME FIRST IMPRESSIONS 833 Vs 727 .

ONE THING I HAD TO BE CAREFUL OF WHEN RUNNING THE 727 WAS WHEN THE X AXIS LOCKS HANG
DOWN FAR ENOUGH TO ENGAGE THE Y DOVETAIL AND COULD BE BROKEN OFF .
THE 833 LOCKS ARE METAL AND CANNOT INTERFERE WITH OTHER MACHINE PARTS

ALL THE 833 CRANKS ARE BALANCED , MEANING THEY HAVE NO TENDENCY TO TURN ON THEIR OWN
AT ANY POINT IN THEIR ROTATION . THE 727 CRANKS WAS HORRIBLY UNBALANCED . I FIXED THE X & Y CRANKS
BUT THE Z WAS THE WORST ONE & I NEVER FIXED THAT ONE .

THE QUILL FINE FEED IS ENGAGED WITH A SLIDING COLLAR ON THE 833 INSTEAD OF THE TWIST KNOB ON THE 727 .
MATTER OF PREFERENCE I SUPPOSE .

YOU CAN SET THE QUILL DEPTH ON THE 833 . IT IS TOO CLOSE TO THE FINE QUILL WHEEL TO WORK EASILY IN THE
CENTER . I WISH IT HAD SOMETHING MORE LIKE A BRIDGEPORT WITH A SPEED NUT . I MAY REMEDY THAT LATER ON .

THE ONE SHOT LUBER WORKS GREAT . I FILLED IT WITH VACTRA #2 AND PUMPED IT ENOUGH TIMES TO SOAK THE WAYS .

THE Z AXIS MOTOR IS FANTASTIC . YOU CAN CONTROL THE SPEED IN THE SAME WAY AS THE X FEED
SO IT CAN BE USED FOR BORING OPERATIONS .

COMPARED TO THE 727 , THE LEADSCREWS ON THE 833 ARE MASSIVE .

DSC_0476.JPG

DSC_0477.JPG

DSC_0478.JPG

DSC_0480.JPG

DSC_0481.JPG

DSC_0479.JPG

HERE IS A NICE SURPRISE .
INSTEAD OF THE USUAL PLASTIC SPINDLE CAP , THE PM-833T COMES WITH ONE MADE OF CAST IRON !
THE SPLINE SHAFT AND DRAW BAR UNDERNEATH ARE EQUALLY BEEFY . IT USES A 22mm WRENCH .

HERE ARE SOME SHOTS OF THE WAYS & LEADSCREWS .
THE WAY SCRAPING IS NOT AS NICELY DONE AS A BRIDGEPORT , BUT IS DEFINITELY A WELCOME FEATURE .

DSC_0484.JPG

DSC_0483.JPG

DSC_0487.JPG

I don't see the 833 on the PM website. Is it hidden somewhere in there.

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Thats a pretty sweet machine. Glad you got one you're happy with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back