New PM-835s on the way

chrismac2264

Registered
Registered
I'm new to this forum, so I'll ask for forgiveness in advance if I make a mistake. I wanted to start a thread documenting my experience with my first milling machine. I found this forum while looking at new machines, after searching for an old Bridgeport in what some call a tool desert (metro Atlanta GA.). The folks at PM as many say could not have been more helpful, and the reviews here helped my select the PM-835s. I started emailing Matt and asking about the 727V, 30MV, and the 932M. After a thread of about 20 emails :) I wound up going up the financial commitment ladder to the 835. I want to also say thanks to chiroone and dfsmoto. Their response to me on their experience with the 835 sealed the deal.

So the 835 is shipping today and I expect an adventure with the delivery. In talking with Matt, he says the carriers don't usually go down private driveways. My shop is in my basement, which is easily accessible via a gravel drive on my property, with a nice 20 x 20 cement pad outside, and a 7 x 9 garage door. The challenge I think I'll face is convincing the driver to take a (tip) to drive his truck to my basement garage door for unloading. If he won't, then I face an imaginative option list I have created on how to get a 1500lbs machine from my driveway to my shop :)

I'm interested if others have faced a similar challenge, and what they did? Nichole says they are using UPS Freight. Does anyone have any experience with them? Any information would be helpful, and I appreciate the support I have received from members of this forum so far.

I have no experience with UPS Freight. When my PM-932 arrived the truck driver had no issue with unloading the mill in my shop which was a few hundred yards from the street. Of course I offered him after the unloading was done and without any mishaps. I don't remember the freight carrier as delivery to my house was handed off by Roadrunner to the local carrier.

Congratulations on your purchase. I think you will be happier with the larger machine. That one was on my list before I lucked into a Bridgeport locally. I have a PM1127 lathe and have been very happy with it and their service when I have asked questions.

Thanks ttabbal. I want to get a lathe also, but thought I would start with the mill. Takes a little time to get the wife on board :)

I also had UPS my deliver my 835. They use the box truck and not a larger tractor trailer. At first the driver said that they only are required to do a curbside delivery. However, I was able to convince him to Bring in to my garage. I have a fully paved driveway although it was at the slight incline. It did require the help of two other people to push on the back of the crate while he moved in with the pallet jack. My advice is to have a few people there to help you.

I spoke to Matt last week about the DRO I ordered for my 835. He Mentioned only had one 835 left a $ no more till September, so anyone sitting on the fence, better aact now

Last edited:
I think it all really depends on the trucking company and driver.

I'm not sure who delivered my mill (not UPS) but the driver would not back into my driveway due to company policy but he did help me push it up the driveway on a pallet jack.

My lathe (heavier than the mill) came UPS and they off loaded it to a secondary carrier for the curbside delivery. That driver had no issue backing into my driveway and even helped me un-crate to check for shipping damage. I think he wanted to see what was inside.

Well that was a dead end. Although the tariff lists Limited Access and Residential in the same section, when I called they said Limited Access is not available for residential delivery. Should I tell them it's a farm? :) I could buy some chickens and put them in the back for a couple of days.

Back