New PM-835s on the way

One option on delivery is to have UPS hold the mill at the freight terminal - call your local wrecker service and get a rollback to pick it up and deposit it exactly where you want it. You have the additional cost of the rollback but it's an easy solution.

I ordered a PM932 and PM1236 at the same time and went this route. My basement shop has a 9' roll up door but you have to drive through the yard to access - no problem with a rollback.

Much less than I expected. He met me at the freight terminal, hauled them 20 miles to my house, unloaded and actually helped me get them settled into their temporary spots for uncrating. All that and he charged me $75. I never broke a sweat and happily gave him a $100 bill.

My experience with wreckers/rollbacks over the years both for moving equipment and pulling stuff out of ditches, etc is that the price can vary greatly. Since you can plan ahead - call a few and get some quotes. Offer to go at a time that's convenient for them. Small operators tend to be more willing to work with you than big outfits.

Wow, that's a lot less than I would have expected, thanks for the tip on how to go about it. How did you unload them?

The back of the rollback bed tips down to the ground (picture a ramp) and he attached his winch cable to a couple of straps around the crates and just slowly lowered until the pallet was on the ground. Used a pallet jack to position them in the basement.

Okay, that what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I found a couple I'll call tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

Chris,
When my PM935 mill & PM1340 lathe were delivered they came on a full size semi-truck. I'm on a long hilly dirt road and there was no way the driver was going to drop it at my house. Fortunately I knew in advance about this and rented a large "ATV" type forklift. Got the machines to my house on the driveway, un-crated and used a pallet jack to get them into my garage shop.
Where there is the will the way will be found. Best of luck.

My home is in the background of this pic
image_1_zps3nuva4jo-jpg.184815

image_zpsvl0xsurf-jpg.184814

image_2_zps35nwek8l-jpg.184816

Rich,
Thanks for the response and pics! Yes, one of the options I researched was to rent a bob-cat or skid steer with a fork lift attachment. I have a rental company in my area that will deliver and pick up. If the delivery driver won't drop at my shop, looks like this is shaping up as my best option.

Also, looks like you un-crated the 935 and used some straps to stabilize it while moving? I thought I would need to do that too.

I purchased a PM940 mill a few years ago. Live on a dead end paved road, with a turn around spur about 60 feet from the road end - then my driveway starts. After not wanting a large truck/trailer getting stuck at the end of road, I called the UPS service. I was assured that they would use a small box truck. A Semi, with a 40 foot trailer showed up. Took the driver some back and forth tries, with rear axle hanging off turn around, in air, front axle in ditch, but got turned around. as my drive is gravel, and I have a small tractor, that is what I used to move to the shop. slid the carryall under the pallet, strapped it, had to have a friend ride in the bucket to balance the load. But, it worked!

Thanks to all for the responses and ideas. I have settled on using a local wrecker service with a flatbed. I called around and got prices all over the map. So like BFHammer suggested, charges do vary quite a bit. I went with a company I've known of and locally owned since 1972. They are charging me $165 to meet me at the freight company to pick it up, and deliver it to my house 20 miles away. Based on what I have found, that's a more than fair rate, and half as much as some I got quotes for.

So today's the day, picking up at Noon! More to come.

Back