New PM-835s on the way

I wanted to post a few pics of the machine, and review the delivery experience. Everything went great. The guy I had from the local wrecker service was great, and knew what he was going. I met him at the carrier, they loaded the crate on his flatbed, strapped it down and we were off. He had no problems getting to my garage, and slide the crate off the flatbed like he had done it a hundred times. Thanks again to BFHammer for the suggestion, it worked great for me.

Once I got the crate in with a pallet jack, I had a two step process to get it into place. I knew the engine hoist would not go around the pallet, so I used the steel I-Beam in my basement to get it off the pallet, and set it on a dolly I built. Then it was a matter of rolling it into place, and lifting it again with the engine hoist.

A couple of notes I want to make here for others. I could not find dimensions on the PM site that gave the height of the machine. The only thing I could find listed the dimensions of the crate, 45 wide, 45 deep, and 65 high. This lead me to believe the height of the machine from the base to the top of the ram was about 60 inches, or 5 feet (allowing for the height of the pallet and the top of the crate). This was way off. The height of my 835s from the base to the top of the ram is about 70 inches. So with a 6 inch pallet, I did not have enough space to lift with my hoist, beam clamp and I beam due to the height. This may seem like a small thing, but when planning on how to safely move 1500lbs, every inch matters. I got around the problem by hooking my hoist directly to the beam, and not using the clamp (gained about 5 inches). This was more than a little scary, as the hook wanted to wonder to the side, but I got it stable, lifted it off the pallet and got it on the dolly.

Now to phase 2, getting into place. As it turns out, the height of my dolly also presented a problem. Again based on how tall I thought the machine was, I built the dolly with more than enough capacity to hold the machine, and choose to use 5" wheels, as 3" would have been harder to roll with the weight. But now I can't get the hoist to go high enough to lift the machine off my dolly :) So you'll see in the pictures below what I did. This part made me the most nervous, but it worked just fine. Getting the machine to a balance point while lifting it was the key to a safe lift and landing, but the blocks did not move, which was the key. I don't recommend this method (stacking wood, setting hoist on top of it, and then lifting) if you are not very careful of what you are doing, trusting your support stack, and knowing which way the machine will move when raising and lowering. Mine went fine, but it could have been janckey! Pics below.

20180522_124916.jpg
20180522_132050.jpg
20180522_141931.jpg
20180522_141943.jpg
20180522_192017.jpg
20180522_192033.jpg
20180523_071222.jpg

Back