New Pm-935 Coming Soon!

Really nice job on the control box.

Can you show some close ups of how you mounted it?

Where and how did you mount the sensor for the tachometer?

Thank you!

It's mounted using a piece of aluminum angle bracket from lowes and some steel cylinders I machined on my lathe. Bolted into the original M6 tapped holes where the stock forward/reverse drum switch mounts.

I've thought a lot about where to mount the tach and have decided to mount it below the quill so that it will pull direct from the bottom of the spindle. This way I don't have to worry about hitting it while tightening the draw bar. It's important that the tach be grabbing the actual RPM and not pulling off of a pulley.

I am going to re-wire the internals to make use of some DIN mounted parts and to add internal power supplies. The VFD I bought did not come with a 12v rail like I thought it would so I have to add that to my system, also PM's DRO system uses a huge 5v power supply which I will remove and replace with a DIN mounted unit. All of this equipment is mounted within the milling machine's column.

For those buying new machines or considering how to outfit theirs: I would NEVER buy a manually operated mill without a VFD and tachometer. The benefits are endless. It is as necessary as a DRO in my opinion. It is also considerably cheaper than adding a DRO. Figure $500 all in including all the buttons, enclosures and wiring.

32048851972_75762f3015_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

31355751234_f019afa82a_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

I've thought a lot about where to mount the tach and have decided to mount it below the quill so that it will pull direct from the bottom of the spindle. This way I don't have to worry about hitting it while tightening the draw bar. It's important that the tach be grabbing the actual RPM and not pulling off of a pulley.
I have been trying to figure out the best place to mount the tach sensor as well. Please post what you end up with so I can copy it. :D

btw, my name is Tim Marks as well, and I also have a PM935. some coincidence.

I
btw, my name is Tim Marks as well, and I also have a PM935. some coincidence.

Now that is WEIRD! haha. I'll post what I end up with. Did you go with a Tachulator kit for the tachometer? It's $60 but I like the fact that it automatically calculates the SFM once you input the end mill diameter. Very useful!

Xplodee, can you post the info on your build of the control box as I like the look of that set-up.

If possible links to the supplier of that box and tach, also who did the graphics?

Thank you.

David

Hi David-

I'm using a "3-wire" control technique off of the Teco VFD. This means two momentary switches for start and stop plus another continuous switch for FWD/RVS.

All the buttons and the potentiometer are purchased from factorymation.com, 30mm series. Not the cheapest out there but they work really well. I will be adding an LED light on top of the box to let me know when power is on. The box came from McMaster for $25 and I milled it out using my Haas VF1. A knife switch turns the 220v single-phase on for the VFD and also powers a relay which closes the 110v circuit.

The plate on top of the box is 1/8" clear acrylic with one side painted white, then CNC machined for the holes and engraving. I then paint the engraving in black. All of the paint is on the backside of the plate so it will never get damaged and will always look great.

The tachometer is from here: http://mkctools.com/tachulator.htm I installed it into my control box behind the plate. This is the second time I've done a setup like this. The first was for my 1942 South Bend Heavy 10 lathe. There is a 12-conductor wire that goes from the VFD inside the mill's column to the control box. This is used for 12v to power the LED and Tachulator inside the control box. The rest of the conductors are part of the on/off, fwd/rvs and speed control. It can be confusing reading the instructions for a VFD but trust me, all of the info you need is in there, you just have to take notes and find it. They are VERY powerful devices considering their cost.

I got the email last week informing me that the machines have arrived in PA, and that mine will be shipping any day now.

I'm really looking forward to it. Time to start designing a base to set it on. I'm 6'1, so it may be a little short as is.

I'm a bit over 6'2" and we lifted my mill almost 6". Here's a few early pics of mine to tide you over... ;)

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

Of course we will require copious amounts of pics when you get yours... :D

That thing is so pretty

I love that shiny blue n chrome logo plate on the belt cover! Wise styling decisions by PM. I bet he's won over at least a few customers on aesthetics alone.

Thank you!

It's mounted using a piece of aluminum angle bracket from lowes and some steel cylinders I machined on my lathe. Bolted into the original M6 tapped holes where the stock forward/reverse drum switch mounts.

I am going to re-wire the internals to make use of some DIN mounted parts and to add internal power supplies. The VFD I bought did not come with a 12v rail like I thought it would so I have to add that to my system, also PM's DRO system uses a huge 5v power supply which I will remove and replace with a DIN mounted unit. All of this equipment is mounted within the milling machine's column.

For those buying new machines or considering how to outfit theirs: I would NEVER buy a manually operated mill without a VFD and tachometer. The benefits are endless. It is as necessary as a DRO in my opinion. It is also considerably cheaper than adding a DRO. Figure $500 all in including all the buttons, enclosures and wiring.

View attachment 187809Untitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

View attachment 187813Untitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

What model Teco VFD are you using for this setup?

Back