New PM Surface Grinder

JohnnyTK

The Journey of Knowledge Continues
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This was posted in another group and indicated that they have just landed. Will be interesting to see at what price point. Another thing to add to my growing list of wants, now to work on the budget officer of this household.
1521152433836.png
1521152700279.png

Last edited:
Sweet! Years ago when I was working with Matt, he was trying to line-up a manufacturer for those. Looks like he found one.

This is bittersweet for me because I was working on the KO Lee grinder revamp project. Had I known this was in the works, I would have just gone this route. -And I probably will get one of these.

Very versatile and you can do a lot more with them than just grind things flat. With a motorized spin indexer, you can do horizontal cylindrical grinding. Very powerful tool in the arsenal that saves your lathe from exposure to grinding grit.

Ray

Sweet! Years ago when I was working with Matt, he was trying to line-up a manufacturer for those. Looks like he found one.

This is bittersweet for me because I was working on the KO Lee grinder revamp project. Had I known this was in the works, I would have just gone this route. -And I probably will get one of these.

Very versatile and you can do a lot more with them than just grind things flat. With a motorized spin indexer, you can do horizontal cylindrical grinding. Very powerful tool in the arsenal that saves your lathe from exposure to grinding grit.

Ray
Ray I have been looking around for a good used one and my problem been has been that almost all of them require rebuilding and that is above my skill set at this point. I have enjoyed following KO Lee project and also your videos.Will be putting on my bucket list. The problem with this hobby is that one can always find a reason to add another tool to the shop.

Ray I have been looking around for a good used one and my problem been has been that almost all of them require rebuilding and that is above my skill set at this point. I have enjoyed following KO Lee project and also your videos.Will be putting on my bucket list. The problem with this hobby is that one can always find a reason to add another tool to the shop.

Yep... With lathes and mills, you can get away with used equipment that has a little wear, provided it's not excessive. There is very little room for error with surface grinders. With SG's, you're shooting for predictable tolerances of 0.0002 to 0.0004" most of the time. I had a surface grinder for a couple years and it was a great tool and fun learning experience; however, it was too big for my shop, too worn-out -and too expensive to fix. After I got rid of it, I looked for more used ones at local industrial sales places. ... Same story... Too big and too worn-out and the ones that were in good shape were too expensive.

Ray

I've been communicating with Matt for a few months about his line of surface grinders and just trying to generate the funds to pull the trigger. They seem to be a nice unit.

Mike

Read Ray's message in post #5. A mediocre surface grinder or a clapped out one are a waste of time, unless you just want to grind metal and don't care much about the accuracy or the surface finish (which is what SGs are all about.) The PM one pictured above is the typical cheap design that many vendors sell with various badges. They are relatively inexpensive and will grind metal. Old and well used machines are often/usually worth their weight in scrap metal. Rehabbing one is not about making it shiny and pretty, it is about having an excellent spindle, great ways, and good geometry. Make sure you know what you are looking for and what you are looking at.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Bob: You are saying that Matt's new grinder is a cheap one that "grinds metal" and isn't very accurate? Have you even used one yet?

Hey Mike (zmotorsports): Do you have any idea what the price range on these new surface grinders will be?

Last edited:
Hey Mike (zmotorsports): Do you have any idea what the price range on these new surface grinders will be?

I can’t remember off the top of my head Bill. I would reach out to Matt and get an accurate quote as I would hate to post something from memory and be way off.

As an FYI Matt did tell me the couple models he was sending me info on were Taiwanese units and not “typical cheap junk”.

Mike

Back