New PM1228 Lathe erratic dial test readings on spindle and any chuck

maticulus

Registered
Registered
I just took delivery of my PM1228 lathe after about a 7mo wait. It arrived with chip tray and rear shield damage, but no apparent contact made with the lathe.
I purchased the PM728 mill about 2 yrs earlier. I purchased the PM Ultra precise 3 jaw chuck, and the adjustable ER40 chuck along with the metric collets.

While trying to setup the 3 jaw, I noticed I could not get a smooth runout reading, with consistent boundaries. I tried measuring the spindle at the outer edge of the centric that centers the chuck and the inner taper and I still get the same erratic runout seen in the video below. I've polished the surfaces a little with a quick touch of 1200 grit with slight improvement. I've also tightened the spindle nut just a tad, moved the dial test indicator from the compound and mounted it to the head stock and still the same thing. So far I've managed to dial the pin and Ultra precise chuck (not seen) in at about .0005-.0007", but I can't get the smoothness and consistency of the boundaries as seen in the second Frank Hoose video of the PM1228 and my PM728 mill, where it's rock steady.

Looking for ideas, I'm not a machinist. but I'm mechanically inclined with a lot of ideas. I may be stressing, but I want to be able to get close to the .0001 claims of preciseness possible of the chuck that I purchased

Contact the seller or the factory, from the reviews I read everyone likes them, so your problem is not normal .
Is the spindle loose ?
Hopefully the seller or factory will know what the problem is and get it fixed.
No one likes being a dick customer. But think you were expecting a lathe with allot less run out . I would complain or return .
You can always contact your bank and stop payment depending on how bought it .. That always gets the sellers attention
I had a grizzly 10x26 lathe on order, it is to come in sometime in october.
Ran across a used 10x 20 logan what is tight , with a 110 motor. bought the logan and canceled the grizzly.

Looks normal for a tenth indicator reading to me. They are very sensitive.

It's pretty much the same on the inside and outside taper of the spindle.
It's rock steady on the 728 mill swinging 0-.0003 at the pin using the same gauge, pin and ER40 collet. No variance, the same start and stop point every time.

I'm just trying to make sure I don't have a problem and unless someone can explain this presentation, I feel I do. I purchased the Ultra chuck for the purpose of dialing it in as tight as possible and learning to relax later on as my experience increases.

Following proper etiquette, I contacted PM first. Respectfully, I don't have a lot of confidence in the help I've received so far. I was told I should be measuring the inside taper of the spindle, upon submitting video of the erratic runout on the outside taper of the centric area of the spindle which centers the chuck. I could understand if I were using the MT5 surface of the bore, but my issue was with the chuck initially and then I discovered the same presentation in the spindle, which for me, ruled out the chuck and fitment. The mill ruled out the gauge. So far I've received nothing in the form of a definitive explanation of what I'm seeing, no confirmation, or denial of there being a problem. That's why I'm here asking now.

Here is what I get from the spindle, although I believe it has improved over this some since adding a little more preload on the bearing in accordance with the instructions:

Here's Frank Hoose's PM1228, look at what he gets stating at 5:30;

I was referred to as a highly valued customer when I was paying, I don't know what that is, and I don't feel like one at the moment.

On all my lathes, there is less than 1/10 of a thou runout on the inside taper of the spindle. On my two D1-x lathes the outer taper is far less than 1/10th.

From what I am seeing, a call to matt is compulsory.

Back