New PM1440GT on the way

Stonebriar

Rick
H-M Platinum Supporter
As the title states I ordered a PM1440GT after my friend got one and I got lathe envy. Man what a nice lathe. After I went to my friends house I came home and said I gotta have one of those. My wife said "I figured". Haha. Hopefully it will ship in a few weeks. I'll post a few pics when it arrives and I get it installed.

Soon there may be a PM1236 for sale here in the DFW area.

Rick

Last edited:
Update it has arrived. Proof. The machine and a pic of the taper attachment.

PM1440.JPG
PM1440 Taper Attachment.JPG

Setup and ready to turn some chips. There is a hugh difference in this and the PM1236 I had. Stability, ridged, fit and finish. But the 1236 was a great machine to start with.

Last edited:
Well I only have one suggestion for Matt for the future on these machines. When you install the DRO on the cross slide the cross slide lock is no longer accessible. Possibly move to the left side. Other wise no issues.

Well I only have one suggestion for Matt for the future on these machines. When you install the DRO on the cross slide the cross slide lock is no longer accessible. Possibly move to the left side. Other wise no issues.
The gib is on the right side so the lock has to be on the right. Unfortunately the holes to mount the follower rest are on the left so mounting the scale on that side is also in conflict. Many of us make an external friction lock that uses the follower rest mounting holes. Easy to remove to use the follower. Others use standoffs behind the scale and use a hex head bolt and thin wrench to tighten.

Yes you are quite right on the gib as I thought about that after I posted. Well I will have to think about which way I want to go. There dont seem to be a really option.

Last edited:
Other concerns of putting the DRO scale on the headstock side is crashing it into the chuck and more susceptibility to getting it contaminated/damaged with swarf. You would think manufactures would evolve their machines so the lockscrew could be accessed easier, maybe by placing it on top of the cross slide as others have done. If I went with the newer smaller magnetic scales I could have retained access to the cross slide lock but I have a glass scale and the only option was to put the lock on the headstock side. I do find for tight tolerance work, it is needed, but it is easily removed with the two bolts used for the follow rest.

Back