New PM25MV on the way!

I was doing some searching on G0704 CNC conversions and found your thread very interesting. I'm wondering how you ended up on this project. I'm asking because I recently purchased a G0704 kit and was thinking what would it take to adapt it to the PM machine because I like the column mounting to the base on the PM verses the G0704, but I couldn't pass up the price on the kit on eBay. I have not ordered a machine yet, Ill wait till the kit shows up just in case its a bust.
Thanks, Mark

I was doing some searching on G0704 CNC conversions and found your thread very interesting. I'm wondering how you ended up on this project. I'm asking because I recently purchased a G0704 kit and was thinking what would it take to adapt it to the PM machine because I like the column mounting to the base on the PM verses the G0704, but I couldn't pass up the price on the kit on eBay. I have not ordered a machine yet, Ill wait till the kit shows up just in case its a bust.
Thanks, Mark

If you are insistent on using the CNC kit (BD Tools?), get the G0704. The OP basically built a G0704 from parts since the PM-25 would not accept the CNC kit. If you like the design of the PM-25, make your own kit for it. From my experience it is not that difficult - just a lot of measuring and testing. We can help you out along the way!

Thanks for the reply Tim. I'll be purchasing the G0704 as soon as the kit comes in. I just wondered how he made out in the end. I bought the kit form eBay seller cncconversionkit at a $400 discount I figured it was worth a shot.
Mark

Very good! At the end of the day the cost of the G0704 versus the PM-25 will allow you do do some upgrades. My PM-30 is more of a 1.3x scale of the PM-25 since the column is mounted much in the same way, but the mounts for all of the ballnuts are different.

Don't be afraid to take the machine apart and put it back together again several times. I have gotten to the point that a machine teardown and rebuild is a matter of minutes, not hours ;).

If your kit doesn't come with electronics, let us know what you're thinking. I have an old PC controlling a Leadshine MX3660. You can use a Beaglebone Black (small single board computer) with Machinekit (LinuxCNC) and completely scrap the need for a separate PC. If this had been around a few years ago, it would be my first choice.

Be sure to make a thread and post your progress and ask questions if you get stuck!

Here are the specks on the electronics that are coming with the kit, as well as the mechanical parts.
When I get everything in I'll start a thread. Electronics are not my strong suite so I'm sure I will have questions!

3 x Digital Driver CCK5560 for each axis 32 bit 5.7A
3 x Stepper motor nema 23 420oz
1 x 6 axis Bidirectional Breakout Board C10
1 x Power supply 600W 48V 12.5A 3 x Ball screw 16mm pitch 5mm (C7)

Thanks for the encourgment!
Mark

Got the mobile base yesterday, the cnc kit came in today, and the mill will be here between noon and 3 tomorrow, will post some pics this weekend, been a good week so far.

I don't see any mention of exactly what you got for a CNC Kit. Can you elaborate please?
Thanks, Skip

Back