Installing the stand offs
standoffs installed.JPG

Power supply and bracket installed
ps and bracket instlall.JPG

second power supply and drivers installed
ps and drivers installed.JPG

C32 and smoothstepper installed.
c32 and smoothstepper installed.JPG

pre fitting 2.JPG standoffs installed.JPG ps and bracket instlall.JPG ps and drivers installed.JPG c32 and smoothstepper installed.JPG

tomorrow, I am going to work on the wiring. I had to order some rj45 adapters for the drivers, I accidentally bought the ones for the non-digital kelig drivers instead of the ones for the digital drivers that i need. So, i will do the wiring that i can, but the control box won't be ready to test for another week.

Wow it will be great to see this all together and running, nice job.

I second the WOW! You are very brave to tackle something like that. I am going to watch closely to see if it is something I want to try in the future.

Notes on the enclosure for the cnc kit:

The kit comes with what looks like #6 sheet metal screws to put the unit together with. there are holes pre-drilled in each plate, however, the metal is pretty thick, and these screws are not very good quality. They do not go in easy, and they are so soft the phillips rounds out very easily. What I am going to do is drill and tap all the holes that receive the screw to 6-32, and replace them all with socket head screws. this will make the box much easier to open if i need to, and will look nicer to boot.

Subacribed and watching with great anticipation for the steppers to turn and your CNC kit installed. The DRO will be a real life saver too so I am also looking forward to your install of that too. Keep up the great work and don't forget the pics every time you get a chance!!!

Bob

Outstanding write up Sir! Lots of good pics of the process too, I will be following this thread for sure.

Please do be careful of static discharge. If you were doing this in one of my labs with no ESD protection we would have to have a chat. ;) (joke)

If nothing else, there are these little adapters that plug into a standard 3-prong outlet to bring out the ground so a wrist strap can be attached. Just don't want you popping something while having all this fun. :)

Vise before cleaning. I got a 5inch vise:
View attachment 85519
I recommend you take the swivel off the vise and put it on the shelf until you are doing an operation you actually need it for. The rest of the time, it will just add flex to your setup, take up z space, and make the vise that much heavier to put on and take off the table. Depending on how well the surfaces are ground, it can also add an unwanted tramming error to your setup.

On a cnc mill, there is absolutely no need to have a swivel, and it just adds one more source of error to your setup.

Last edited:
CNC4PC makes some nice looking control boxes. They really make it easy to come up with a professional looking installation, and take some of the pain out of the process.

You going to rack mount that thing when you are done?

Back