'new' Powr-kraft 10" Lathe And Some Questions.

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, after owning my first lathe (Craftsman/Atlas 6") for only a few months, I'm already 'upgrading'! Over the weekend, I picked up a Powr-Kraft (Logan) model 15TLC-2136 while traveling to visit family. I wasn't really shopping, but here on the high plains, this stuff is scarce and you better get it when you can (at least that's what I told my wife). The man I bought it from acquired it when he bought his deceased neighbor's machine tools. He tells me that it was in pieces when he got it and that he replaced several gears in the headstock and QCGB as he was putting it back together. It runs smoothly and everything seems to work as it should.

I've attached some pics of it in its temporary location in my barn. The bench it's on came with it, but it's much too large for my shop, so I'll have to build a new one. You'll notice the 'two-tone' paint scheme. According to the Logan website, the 2136's weren't shipped with a QCGB, so that was probably added later. I'm wondering about the headstock cover and gear cover though. There is a gap between the headstock and the cover when it's closed. Also, the hole in the gear cover doesn't line up exactly with the spindle. Do you think these are unoriginal parts, or is that just the way they came? Right now I'm cleaning it up and trying to decide whether or not I want to disassemble and paint it...

IMG_1374.JPG IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1382.JPG IMG_1383.JPG IMG_1384.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1386.JPG

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Nice looking machine, and a bit of tooling too, good for you! On the fit, original or not, those are adjustable on every Logan I've seen, using the brackets and such on the rear of the headstock where they attach. If not original, they look like similar replacements.

bama7

Registered
Registered
Well, after owning my first lathe (Craftsman/Atlas 6") for only a few months, I'm already 'upgrading'! Over the weekend, I picked up a Powr-Kraft (Logan) model 15TLC-2136 while traveling to visit family. I wasn't really shopping, but here on the high plains, this stuff is scarce and you better get it when you can (at least that's what I told my wife). The man I bought it from acquired it when he bought his deceased neighbor's machine tools. He tells me that it was in pieces when he got it and that he replaced several gears in the headstock and QCGB as he was putting it back together. It runs smoothly and everything seems to work as it should.

I've attached some pics of it in its temporary location in my barn. The bench it's on came with it, but it's much too large for my shop, so I'll have to build a new one. You'll notice the 'two-tone' paint scheme. According to the Logan website, the 2136's weren't shipped with a QCGB, so that was probably added later. I'm wondering about the headstock cover and gear cover though. There is a gap between the headstock and the cover when it's closed. Also, the hole in the gear cover doesn't line up exactly with the spindle. Do you think these are unoriginal parts, or is that just the way they came? Right now I'm cleaning it up and trying to decide whether or not I want to disassemble and paint it...

View attachment 119273 View attachment 119274 View attachment 119275 View attachment 119276 View attachment 119277 View attachment 119278 View attachment 119279 View attachment 119280 View attachment 119281 View attachment 119282 View attachment 119283 View attachment 119284 View attachment 119285
When I first got my Powr-Kraft I took it all apart, cleaned, and painted it. I wish now I would have just done a good cleaning and inspection without taking it apart. I would have ran it for awhile to see if it had any issues that needed to be addressed first. After all the "kinks" had been worked out I would then have put thought into a paint job. Hide sight is a wonderful thing. I would not be having the problems I am having now second guessing what might be wrong or what I might have caused to be wrong.

T. J.

Nice looking machine, and a bit of tooling too, good for you! On the fit, original or not, those are adjustable on every Logan I've seen, using the brackets and such on the rear of the headstock where they attach. If not original, they look like similar replacements.
Thanks, I'll try adjusting them this weekend.

When I first got my Powr-Kraft I took it all apart, cleaned, and painted it. I wish now I would have just done a good cleaning and inspection without taking it apart. I would have ran it for awhile to see if it had any issues that needed to be addressed first. After all the "kinks" had been worked out I would then have put thought into a paint job.
Thanks bama. I think that's probably what I'm gonna do. I haven't had much time to mess with it yet. I have cleaned up the ways and mounted the countershaft. Hopefully I can get the motor hooked back up and make a few chips this weekend. Some issues I've identified so far:
  1. The bronze bearings on the countershaft need to be replaced.
  2. The turret tool post is cracked on one side from someone tightening the set screws on a toolbit too tight. (I was planning on getting a QCTP eventually anyway, but now there's already one on the way from Enco thanks to their sale:))
Hopefully I can report some progress by tomorrow!

bama7

Registered
Registered
Glad to hear! I got everything working good on mine today except for the "thread dial". I am supposed to get one in the Tuesday mail. Really looking forward to having this project done. Then I can get to the Logan 1825 project!

T. J.

I got to spend a little time with the lathe on Saturday. I got a few layers of crud off of it and even found some original Logan blue gray paint on the carriage! Per eeler1's advise, I was able to get the gear cover aligned properly. For the belt cover, it looks like I'll need to take it off and do some light filing on the mounting brackets - no big deal. I got the motor wired up and made a few cuts on some 3/4" cold roll - very nice! Here's a couple of pics, plus one of the broken tool post. Just one more turn...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

bama7

Registered
Registered
Doin good and glad to hear it! I will never be a machinist, but these machines just fascinate me.

T. J.

Don't be a defeatist, who knows what you will achieve, hobby or not, if you can make stuff for your bike. it doesn't matter what the world calls you.
:+1:

bama7

Registered
Registered
Don't be a defeatist, who knows what you will achieve, hobby or not, if you can make stuff for your bike. it doesn't matter what the world calls you.
I have been called many things in my 67 years on earth, but machinist isn't one of them. I did not mean for that to be a statement of defeatism. I know my limitations. I truly believe I have the capability to make many things with a lathe. I just need to take the time and effort to make things happen. I worked on and around jet aircraft for almost 40 years. Keep your heads covered and beware of falling objects!

T. J.

I thought I'd revive this thread to show some progress on the lathe. I acquired a chip pan off eBay and built some legs for it. The pan was from a slightly longer lathe, so I had to weld up the bolt holes and drill new ones. Since I had to disassemble the lathe to move it to its permanent home in my shop, I figured I just as well paint it too. I'm using Sherwin-Williams All Purpose Enamel matched to Benjamin-Moore's 'Baby seal black' color. More pics to come as progress continues.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

T. J.

Making progress...
IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

All that's left to paint is the headstock and QCGB, then on to reassembly.

Frank- the paint is Sherwin-Williams All-purpose enamel matched to Benjamin-Moore's 'Baby seal black' color. I would have preferred S-W Industrial enamel, but it only comes in gallons.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
That four way tool post must have been weak. I've snapped Allen wrenches in two or twisted the ends off. But I've never broken a tool post. That may have hit the chuck while running. Would be my guess. Nice machines I have the 11" LOGAN , had it for thirty years or more. With a little care and oiling most will last longer then we will.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Looks like Navy blue.

TomKro

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Looking good, and a really nice job putting together those legs.

T. J.

Assembly is coming along nicely. Now I have a question about the cross slide nut. The nut is a two-piece assembly as shown in the pics.
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG

My assumption is that this setup is to allow removal of backlash from the cross slide. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The owners manual doesn't say anything about adjustment and the parts list doesn't illustrate this detail. When installed on the screw, there is about a .055" gap between the two halves. I was concerned about the pinching effect of tightening the screws causing undue wear on the screw. I solved that somewhat by placing a flat washer (.045" thick) between the halves. There was room for a washer on only one screw. It now looks like this: IMG_0123.JPG

The screws can be snugged up to where there is no detectable backlash in the cross slide. Does this look reasonable? Is this an original Logan nut, or an addition by a previous owner?

Thanks!

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
I haven't seen a Logan with a nut like that before. I suspect it was a PO addition.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Over the past couple of years I've looked through several logan manuals on different size machines and haven't seen anything like that. But even if I hadn't I would spot it as an obvious owner mod. There is almost no space for the threads for the screws. A factory design would have looked like an un-modifed nut with the slab added to it. And would probably have had an "E" shaped shim pack.

The nut was probably worn and a PO did that instead of what he should have done, which is get a new nut.

markba633csi

Registered
Registered
So T.J. did you have to buy some Benjamin Moore baby seal black and take it over to a Sherwin Williams store? Or can they match it just from the name from some fancy code-book? Also do you find SW enamel better than BM's? Why not just use BM?
Mark S.

T. J.

The SW store actually had a BM color book and could match the two codes. My choice of brands was nothing more scientific than the SW store is handier for me to get to. :chunky:

Nogoingback

That is a GREAT looking color. It's so good, I'm almost (but not quite) motivated enough to paint mine too. :)

T. J.

I will say that the baby seal black is a very close, but not exact match to the original paint on mine. The most important thing to me though is that it's all painted - with the same color all over! It's been a long project, but I'm glad I did it.

It's getting close to being fully assembled. I found that I can't mount the Harbor Freight motor that came with it without installing a riser between the countershaft assembly and chip pan. I was planning on replacing that motor eventually anyway so I decided to do it now. There's a new Baldor 1/2 HP 3 phase motor on the way.

Nogoingback

Well, it looks very nice. My project lathe is sort of camouflaged: currently 4 different colors and that doesn't include the motor!

Last edited:

T. J.

It's getting really close now. I'm waiting on the paint to dry on a couple of hinge brackets for the headstock, then I can finish the reassembly. Detailed pics to follow!

I have a question regarding the name plates. The switch plate and feed chart were painted black, but the Powr-Kraft nameplate on the headstock was a sort of brown color. It can be seen in the pics in my earlier posts. Is that the original color, or was it black too?

T. J.

Yes! I got the electrical work done over thanksgiving. I am now in the process of making leveling feet for the lathe. Once I get those done and finish the name plates, I'll post some more photos!

Nogoingback

Great! Looking forward to pics...

T. J.

I finally got some more photos taken!

First, here are the leveling feet that I made:
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock