'new' Powr-kraft 10" Lathe And Some Questions.

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, after owning my first lathe (Craftsman/Atlas 6") for only a few months, I'm already 'upgrading'! Over the weekend, I picked up a Powr-Kraft (Logan) model 15TLC-2136 while traveling to visit family. I wasn't really shopping, but here on the high plains, this stuff is scarce and you better get it when you can (at least that's what I told my wife). The man I bought it from acquired it when he bought his deceased neighbor's machine tools. He tells me that it was in pieces when he got it and that he replaced several gears in the headstock and QCGB as he was putting it back together. It runs smoothly and everything seems to work as it should.

I've attached some pics of it in its temporary location in my barn. The bench it's on came with it, but it's much too large for my shop, so I'll have to build a new one. You'll notice the 'two-tone' paint scheme. According to the Logan website, the 2136's weren't shipped with a QCGB, so that was probably added later. I'm wondering about the headstock cover and gear cover though. There is a gap between the headstock and the cover when it's closed. Also, the hole in the gear cover doesn't line up exactly with the spindle. Do you think these are unoriginal parts, or is that just the way they came? Right now I'm cleaning it up and trying to decide whether or not I want to disassemble and paint it...

IMG_1374.JPG IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1382.JPG IMG_1383.JPG IMG_1384.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1386.JPG

Nice looking machine, and a bit of tooling too, good for you! On the fit, original or not, those are adjustable on every Logan I've seen, using the brackets and such on the rear of the headstock where they attach. If not original, they look like similar replacements.

Well, after owning my first lathe (Craftsman/Atlas 6") for only a few months, I'm already 'upgrading'! Over the weekend, I picked up a Powr-Kraft (Logan) model 15TLC-2136 while traveling to visit family. I wasn't really shopping, but here on the high plains, this stuff is scarce and you better get it when you can (at least that's what I told my wife). The man I bought it from acquired it when he bought his deceased neighbor's machine tools. He tells me that it was in pieces when he got it and that he replaced several gears in the headstock and QCGB as he was putting it back together. It runs smoothly and everything seems to work as it should.

I've attached some pics of it in its temporary location in my barn. The bench it's on came with it, but it's much too large for my shop, so I'll have to build a new one. You'll notice the 'two-tone' paint scheme. According to the Logan website, the 2136's weren't shipped with a QCGB, so that was probably added later. I'm wondering about the headstock cover and gear cover though. There is a gap between the headstock and the cover when it's closed. Also, the hole in the gear cover doesn't line up exactly with the spindle. Do you think these are unoriginal parts, or is that just the way they came? Right now I'm cleaning it up and trying to decide whether or not I want to disassemble and paint it...

View attachment 119273 View attachment 119274 View attachment 119275 View attachment 119276 View attachment 119277 View attachment 119278 View attachment 119279 View attachment 119280 View attachment 119281 View attachment 119282 View attachment 119283 View attachment 119284 View attachment 119285

When I first got my Powr-Kraft I took it all apart, cleaned, and painted it. I wish now I would have just done a good cleaning and inspection without taking it apart. I would have ran it for awhile to see if it had any issues that needed to be addressed first. After all the "kinks" had been worked out I would then have put thought into a paint job. Hide sight is a wonderful thing. I would not be having the problems I am having now second guessing what might be wrong or what I might have caused to be wrong.

Nice looking machine, and a bit of tooling too, good for you! On the fit, original or not, those are adjustable on every Logan I've seen, using the brackets and such on the rear of the headstock where they attach. If not original, they look like similar replacements.
Thanks, I'll try adjusting them this weekend.

When I first got my Powr-Kraft I took it all apart, cleaned, and painted it. I wish now I would have just done a good cleaning and inspection without taking it apart. I would have ran it for awhile to see if it had any issues that needed to be addressed first. After all the "kinks" had been worked out I would then have put thought into a paint job.
Thanks bama. I think that's probably what I'm gonna do. I haven't had much time to mess with it yet. I have cleaned up the ways and mounted the countershaft. Hopefully I can get the motor hooked back up and make a few chips this weekend. Some issues I've identified so far:
  1. The bronze bearings on the countershaft need to be replaced.
  2. The turret tool post is cracked on one side from someone tightening the set screws on a toolbit too tight. (I was planning on getting a QCTP eventually anyway, but now there's already one on the way from Enco thanks to their sale:))
Hopefully I can report some progress by tomorrow!

Glad to hear! I got everything working good on mine today except for the "thread dial". I am supposed to get one in the Tuesday mail. Really looking forward to having this project done. Then I can get to the Logan 1825 project!

I got to spend a little time with the lathe on Saturday. I got a few layers of crud off of it and even found some original Logan blue gray paint on the carriage! Per eeler1's advise, I was able to get the gear cover aligned properly. For the belt cover, it looks like I'll need to take it off and do some light filing on the mounting brackets - no big deal. I got the motor wired up and made a few cuts on some 3/4" cold roll - very nice! Here's a couple of pics, plus one of the broken tool post. Just one more turn...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Doin good and glad to hear it! I will never be a machinist, but these machines just fascinate me.

Don't be a defeatist, who knows what you will achieve, hobby or not, if you can make stuff for your bike. it doesn't matter what the world calls you.

:+1:

Don't be a defeatist, who knows what you will achieve, hobby or not, if you can make stuff for your bike. it doesn't matter what the world calls you.

I have been called many things in my 67 years on earth, but machinist isn't one of them. I did not mean for that to be a statement of defeatism. I know my limitations. I truly believe I have the capability to make many things with a lathe. I just need to take the time and effort to make things happen. I worked on and around jet aircraft for almost 40 years. Keep your heads covered and beware of falling objects!

Back