'new' Powr-kraft 10" Lathe And Some Questions.

I thought I'd revive this thread to show some progress on the lathe. I acquired a chip pan off eBay and built some legs for it. The pan was from a slightly longer lathe, so I had to weld up the bolt holes and drill new ones. Since I had to disassemble the lathe to move it to its permanent home in my shop, I figured I just as well paint it too. I'm using Sherwin-Williams All Purpose Enamel matched to Benjamin-Moore's 'Baby seal black' color. More pics to come as progress continues.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Making progress...
IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

All that's left to paint is the headstock and QCGB, then on to reassembly.

Frank- the paint is Sherwin-Williams All-purpose enamel matched to Benjamin-Moore's 'Baby seal black' color. I would have preferred S-W Industrial enamel, but it only comes in gallons.

That four way tool post must have been weak. I've snapped Allen wrenches in two or twisted the ends off. But I've never broken a tool post. That may have hit the chuck while running. Would be my guess. Nice machines I have the 11" LOGAN , had it for thirty years or more. With a little care and oiling most will last longer then we will.

Looks like Navy blue.

Looking good, and a really nice job putting together those legs.

Assembly is coming along nicely. Now I have a question about the cross slide nut. The nut is a two-piece assembly as shown in the pics.
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG

My assumption is that this setup is to allow removal of backlash from the cross slide. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The owners manual doesn't say anything about adjustment and the parts list doesn't illustrate this detail. When installed on the screw, there is about a .055" gap between the two halves. I was concerned about the pinching effect of tightening the screws causing undue wear on the screw. I solved that somewhat by placing a flat washer (.045" thick) between the halves. There was room for a washer on only one screw. It now looks like this:IMG_0123.JPG

The screws can be snugged up to where there is no detectable backlash in the cross slide. Does this look reasonable? Is this an original Logan nut, or an addition by a previous owner?

Thanks!

I haven't seen a Logan with a nut like that before. I suspect it was a PO addition.

Over the past couple of years I've looked through several logan manuals on different size machines and haven't seen anything like that. But even if I hadn't I would spot it as an obvious owner mod. There is almost no space for the threads for the screws. A factory design would have looked like an un-modifed nut with the slab added to it. And would probably have had an "E" shaped shim pack.

The nut was probably worn and a PO did that instead of what he should have done, which is get a new nut.

So T.J. did you have to buy some Benjamin Moore baby seal black and take it over to a Sherwin Williams store? Or can they match it just from the name from some fancy code-book? Also do you find SW enamel better than BM's? Why not just use BM?
Mark S.

Back